Notices

Vibration/steering problem

Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 AM
poomanshoe89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/steering problem

when i am on the freeway, my car vibrates like crazy and also wants to go wherever the road takes it...i have tried new tires, alignments, etc. and this helped a little bit before, but not completely....now it is getting to the point where i cannot stand to drive my car because i feel like im going to end up in a ditch...any help would be appreciated.........
Old 06-08-2006, 01:31 PM
94blueteg
screwed

Originally Posted by poomanshoe89
when i am on the freeway, my car vibrates like crazy and also wants to go wherever the road takes it...i have tried new tires, alignments, etc. and this helped a little bit before, but not completely....now it is getting to the point where i cannot stand to drive my car because i feel like im going to end up in a ditch...any help would be appreciated.........

sounds like a combination of a wheel bearing going bad and something in the alignment being horribly out of whack, but since you say its been aligned it could be something else. the crazy vibration could very well be a wheel bearing though.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 AM
RightCoast_Chrs

Does it get worse when you apply the brakes....
Old 06-09-2006, 11:37 AM
asheylarry

couple of questions.. how wide are your tires? wide tires are very sensitive to slopes in the road. what speed is the vibration at? if its starts around 55-60 then you need to have your wheels balanced. i know that balancing some plus size wheels is a mother fucker, and it may take the shop a few times to get it right. check tires for out of round. also check the tread and make sure they are worn evenly. if your tires are worn uneven, even with an alignment they will drive like shit and wander all over. also make sure you dont have any worn out tie-rod ends.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 AM
asheylarry

one more thing.. check your axles. bad axles will shimmy and shudder the ENTIRE CAR! i had a bad axle and i thought the fuckin wheel was gonna come off.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:51 PM
poomanshoe89

thanks for the suggestions...im gonna try a couple things out...if you think of anything else feel free to post...very much appreciated.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:19 PM
poomanshoe89

stupid question....how do you check the axles??