Notices

Turbo GS-R Owners-Need Your Input

Old 05-05-2006, 10:39 PM
junmitech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo GS-R Owners-Need Your Input

I'm on the fence with what route to go, either NA or Turbo. I want to go turbo and it seems like a good fit for me since I don't drive the car everyday since I work from home, travel for work and I intend to road race her. I also understand with smart tuning, as I've read in these forums, going Turbo is VERY do-able and it's more bang for the buck as far as cost to power ratio. But since things may change in the job arena, I'll need to drive her daily which puts me closer to deciding on the NA side, but I haven't ruled out going turbo.

HP Goals? 300 to start. I believe this can be attained with the Greddy turbo kit and proper tuning, as far as I gather from this forum, which is street legal. In addition, I intend to rebuild the motor.

NOW, my question to you all is how's your turbo GS-R holding up on a daiily basis. How far do you drive from home to point of destination and back? Would having a turbo'd GSR for daily-use, no thrashing involved, a good thing?

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by junmitech; 05-06-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:54 AM
KaBlookie
4-doors ROCK

I don't have a GSR, or a turbo'd car for that matter, but I can say that, from all of what I've been reading about turbo'd 'tegs over the past 3 or 4 months (I'm looking into turbo-ing my LS/SE), if you get a good, proper tune and run lower levels of boost, the car will treat you very well in everyday driving.

You won't need to get a pucked clutch unless you're looking for really high hp numbers, so the clutch you'd get wouldn't be overly stiff and would be comfortable for daily driving...if you're looking at moderate hp numbers, then you're gonna have a smaller turbo that'll spool quicker, meaning the car will drive a little more like a NA car than a highly boosted one while you're just bumbling around town...if you spend the money on a proper, thorough tune, the car will run as if it came that way from the factory (assuming all the parts are in good working order), and should last you a while.

There are a good number of things you can do to make a turbo'd 'teg a very liveable one...a little research and some good common sense (of which I'm pretty sure you have a good amount) will get you really far.

Sorry for writing so much without having any personal experience with a GSR and/or a turbo'd car, but this is some of what I have learned over the past few months.

Hope it helps some.
--Brian
Old 05-06-2006, 08:57 AM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

You need to determine your power goals, then decide from there. Also i see your located in socal, so your pretty limited as to what turbo setup's you can run.

Im sure its only a matter of time until GSSR or Das Schmoo chime in here, the pros when it comes to boosted GSR's.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 PM
JETSPD1477
O RLY?

heh... 300hp turbo'd GSR would be a handful on an auto-x course... probably not too bad for a road course but still not ideal.

a reliable daily driven Turbo GSR is doable but given your intentions for the car, is it a feasable goal?

gain a larger view of what your car needs besides more HP. the more HP that is put to the ground will require more work to attain an ideal balance for the car esp if it's going to be your weekend track car/commuter.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:08 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

now a stock greddy kit, and to be legal means, u have to use there engine management system, no BOV or FMIC.. and u wont get anywhere near 300whp with that, and even with taht a stock motor with a greddy kit, and FMIC will maybe get u around 215-220 whp with the greddy engine management.

as far as daily driven def. not a problem, but u have to seperate the line between legal and what u can get away with.. if u go with what u can get away with u can deffenitly get some more horses out of it, i personally have a greddy turbo charged gsr, with a bunch of add on's and will be boosting 11psi which will hopefully get me to the 275ish whp range
Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 PM
junmitech

Originally Posted by JETSPD1477
heh... 300hp turbo'd GSR would be a handful on an auto-x course... probably not too bad for a road course but still not ideal.

a reliable daily driven Turbo GSR is doable but given your intentions for the car, is it a feasable goal?

gain a larger view of what your car needs besides more HP. the more HP that is put to the ground will require more work to attain an ideal balance for the car esp if it's going to be your weekend track car/commuter.
My car needs...something with GO and that can stick to the ground. 300 is the ceiling I think as far as HP goes. To think of it, I rode in a Turbo'd B16 last night and I was IMPRESSED with the driveability and handling characteristics, which was my main concern. Then, the driver had her at 14Psi and that pulled like a MoFo then set her at 5.5 Psi on the street and she was tamed with umf. That SOLD me right there. The key thing was self control, something I totally forgot when I owned a Talon TSI 5 years ago, and driveability...light on the throttle she's ok, romp on it and it's a whole another day. That's what I want.

Originally Posted by GSSR
now a stock greddy kit, and to be legal means, u have to use there engine management system, no BOV or FMIC.. and u wont get anywhere near 300whp with that, and even with taht a stock motor with a greddy kit, and FMIC will maybe get u around 215-220 whp with the greddy engine management.

as far as daily driven def. not a problem, but u have to seperate the line between legal and what u can get away with.. if u go with what u can get away with u can deffenitly get some more horses out of it, i personally have a greddy turbo charged gsr, with a bunch of add on's and will be boosting 11psi which will hopefully get me to the 275ish whp range
If I can get away with stuff, then I'll go for it. How do you guys go about smogging your Turbo GSSR's in our lovely state of California?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:25 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

u have to have a hook up cause u will not even be able to get a smog even if a 100 percent legal
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSSR
u have to have a hook up cause u will not even be able to get a smog even if a 100 percent legal
if he runs a E.O.'ed greddy kit he should be able to get a smog done, and it's not like it matters the stock greddy kit puts out less emissions than the stock engine IIRC

:edit:

a NA build would most likely be better for auto-x courses, where there are few to no straightaways for you to build full boost, on a road course the turbo will own, and it will be the same on the strip, that is without major NA upgrading at price levels that beg why you just didnt buy a newer, faster car.

Last edited by sherwood; 05-10-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

Originally Posted by sherwood
if he runs a E.O.'ed greddy kit he should be able to get a smog done, and it's not like it matters the stock greddy kit puts out less emissions than the stock engine IIRC

very true, but we tried to get schmoo's smogged and they popped the hood and they said modified, and i was like its street legal here is the CARB sticker they are like nope can do it... what can i say they don't want to take the risk, can't say that i blame them but u have to go to a mod friendly smog guy or have a hook up one of the two
Old 05-11-2006, 04:46 AM
rugsr
How do my taillights look

give me 400 more miles to break in my new clutch and flywheel and then one day of tuning and ill let you know how the GSRT is. A lot of people turbo the LS cuz of there low compression BUT IMO id rather go GSR, you start off with more power anyways and its VTEC. With my setup I "should" be around 300...so i hear