Notices

My GSR still shakes

Old 05-14-2006, 08:17 AM
KarrNtegGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarswheelies
well, I replaced the left axle with a NEW one and it still shakes. Any ideas? Can I be installing this thing wrong? My friend had a toyota that had a shake like this and his mechanic told him it was a bearing in the final drive.
An full alignment may help, mic your rotors and brakes for runout or warping, may need bushings kit, you might have some crazy wear on your tires caused by your alignment bein' out of wack.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

Does it only do this when the wheels are turned or just when you are over 40. Usually if your turning and going under speeds of 20mph you'll hear your outer joint knock. You'll hear it if you also back up relatively fast. This sounds a lot like a joint issue. Speedway auto parts have some good axles, as do carquest. Our shop tends to frown on most advance and autozone stuff. Honestly i do to.

I would also look under the car if you have a jack and jack stands and see if grease is leaking anywhere. Like near the axles or on the int. shaft.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:52 PM
guitarswheelies

its shakes like a jackhammer everytime you have on the gas a little and you go close to and past 40. You can even feel it a little at 60-70 when you are on the gas hard. It does this in a straight line.Its more pronounced when going up a hill and there is more load on the drivetrain.More gas=more shake.

It did wear the inside of the right tire so there may be goofy alignment issues. I have read that loose suspension and steering parts or bad alignment can cause vibration under accel.

The vibrations are one for every turn of the wheel, I think
Old 05-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Check your motor mounts for any torn or broken ones. Also, check your tie rod ball joints for excessive wear or torn boots.

Are you dropped any?

Are you sure the entire axle is new and not just a new shaft and boots with old CV joints?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 AM
guitarswheelies

I checked for play in the steeering linkage and there is some on the left side. I couldn't tell which tie rod was sloppy. hopefully i can get it on the lift and we can get a better look. Maybe its the inner one cause the outer one didn't seem loose.

I replaced those engine mount/dampers that are low in the front and off to either side. The main engine mount on the left side of the engine bay looks OK. I think I looked at the trans mount before and it looked ok but it was hard to see.

I'm gonna replace whatever tie rode is loose on the left side and see if that helps.