Notices

Integra LS: erratic idle, drags decelerating

Old 03-02-2006, 05:55 AM
peduzzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra LS: erratic idle, drags decelerating

Hello,

I have a 1999 Integra LS (63K miles) which I bought about 8 months ago. Shortly after I brought it home, it developed an erratic idle. After starting it cold, it seems fine for about 5 minutes...then the RPM's starting jumping between 1500 and 2000, about once per second. This happens in park and neutral.

The RPMs seem fine in drive, but when I'm decelerating down to a stop, there is a noticable and jerky "drag". Sometimes the CEL is triggered, but the codes don't seem to help the dealer at all...I've had it there 3 times and been given 3 different explanations (need new air filter, need IACV, etc.) none of which has solved the problem.

I replaced the throttle position sensor myself, based upon info I got from a garage other than the dealer. That didn't do it. I'm hesistant to bring it back to the dealer again because it seems like I'm paying them money to scan codes, but not fix the problem.

Does this problem sound familiar to anybody?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:09 AM
1FAST_DA

That Would Be Your Idle Air Control Sensor The One Mounted On The Throttle Body On The Under Side There Are Three 10 Bolts To Take Off And Some Hoses But Once You Get It Off Unscrew The Capped End And There Will Be A White Screw With 2 Notches In It Take A Screwdriver And Turn It Clockwise Untill Tight If You Take It Off And Shake It And It Rattles Then Forget It You Need To Get A New One Eithr From A Part Store Or A Wrecking Yard
Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Driverman5777

He already replaced it though
Old 03-02-2006, 12:25 PM
peduzzi

Originally Posted by Driverman5777
He already replaced it though
I did replace the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). But it sounds like the Idle Air Control Sensor is something different, and I haven't taken a look at that one yet.

A few months ago, I'd never heard of any of these things. At least now I have a basic understanding of what they do. Hopefully this one won't be too much for an automotive illiterate like me to handle.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Driverman5777

good luck and welcome to HAN
Old 03-06-2006, 02:48 PM
peduzzi

Default Coolant in both lines to IACV

Originally Posted by 1FAST_DA
That Would Be Your Idle Air Control Sensor The One Mounted On The Throttle Body On The Under Side There Are Three 10 Bolts To Take Off And Some Hoses But Once You Get It Off Unscrew The Capped End And There Will Be A White Screw With 2 Notches In It Take A Screwdriver And Turn It Clockwise Untill Tight If You Take It Off And Shake It And It Rattles Then Forget It You Need To Get A New One Eithr From A Part Store Or A Wrecking Yard
I removed the IACV again...this is the component which I bought brand new from the dealer a couple months ago. This time when I disconnected the two hoses, coolant spilled out of both of the disconnected hoses. I thought one was supposed to be for air, and the other for coolant? Is it possible that the old IACV was leaking, and fluid was trapped in the line which is supposed to carry air?

I suppose it's also possible that the new one is leaking, too. But I can't bring myself to believe it, since the parts department took so much of my money.

I drained fluid out of the hose which I believe is supposed to carry air, and the erratic idle seems to have improved...but not totally gone away.