Notices

Fuel pump priming sound...

Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM
P@@RB@Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump priming sound...

Is it possible to hear your fuel pump come on but it still be blown?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:29 PM
dubcac
I

No...if it was blown, you wouldn't hear it prime....the fuel pump priming means it's working.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:35 PM
P@@RB@Y

It kinda sounds like a radio coming on right.

If was something in the distributor that was keeping the car from starting what would it sound like when trying to start the car?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 PM
dubcac
I

It would sound like a buzzing. You'll also hear the fuel rail pressurize in the engine bay. If there was something in the ignition system causing the car to not start (preventing spark), it would sound like the car would try to start, but not turn over. You can test for spark by removing a spark plug, put the wire on it, and touch the electrode to the valve cover...have a friend try to start the car...you should see a spark.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:14 PM
P@@RB@Y

Ok the fuel pump primes, the fuel rail makes a sound.
I took #4 spark plug out and plug the wire to it and tried to crank it over with the tip of the spark plug close to the valve cover and No spark at all.Right after trying to crank it there a humming sound coming somewhere around the intake manifold.Its a constant hum until the key is out of the ignition.

The rotor tip isnt burnt and nothings cracked.Sound like something in the distributor?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 05:23 PM
dubcac
I

You have to touch the valve cover for it to work..the electrode has to be grounded. If it doesn't spark, it's possible you have a bad coil or ICM (igniter) inside the distributor.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:27 PM
mean-azz-acura
Grand Sport-Race

ha careful with ignition tho, my wifey was bored sitting in the car outta the rain, i was trying to temporarily fix a few hairline cracks in her cap and she flicked the key over to get the radio going. gettin lifted under the hood sux!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:18 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

Originally Posted by mean-azz-acura
ha careful with ignition tho, my wifey was bored sitting in the car outta the rain, i was trying to temporarily fix a few hairline cracks in her cap and she flicked the key over to get the radio going. gettin lifted under the hood sux!!!
haha that almost sounds like some kinda cartoon or something where they honk the horn and the guy goes flyin....did u just look at her silently...and get back to work?