Notices

help building b18a1 to handle 25+ lbs of boost

Old 09-08-2005, 06:10 PM
hotrodb18a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help building b18a1 to handle 25+ lbs of boost

i have a good block,head and crank. i need advice on whos parts will hold up to the boost and a hefty wet shot of nos.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 PM
tgansert
is all good

IMHO WARNING:

25psi boost and heavy nitrous. I think you are asking people to take years and years of racing development and squeeze it into a blurb. For all that I'd send my motor off to Spoon Japan and have them mill, balance, and bulletproof the motor. It's only about 8 grand and it will get you very close to your goal. Engine balance is huge under those pressures. Anything out of balance by even a .001 ounce will create friction and cause damage.

You really need a balanced engine for what you are going for. But that is only one small portion of what you need to get the effect you are looking for.

Oh.. and I hope you are ready to pay maintenance costs on a race car. This isn't a one-time fee, you know. You can't tune your car to the balls to handle 25psi boost and nitrous and not expect something to go wrong. If any of your calculations are incorrect you could cause incredible damage to your motor.

You almost need to be a design engineer to be able to account for all the bases you need to cover before even turning the key. If I were you, about 8psi boost and maybe a 100cc shot of nitrous will be good on a worked LS/VTEC with ITR pistons rods and hardened head bolts. Of course, like I said, if you want to go 25psi and nitrous crazy: balancing and strengthening your engine components are only one of many things you'll need to do first.

In any case... Your Trans = :bye:

BTW, this is just my honest opinion. Last car I put ridiculous boost and obscene nitrous on was a Grand National when I was 17 racing cars on the streets in Philly.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM
B18C Turbo

Lol that is some of the dumbest $hit I've ever heard. Who sends their engine's to japan for building? who sends their engines to spoon for building?

I PM'ed you for a good machine shop and engine builder.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:06 AM
forcefedintegra
ImportNation.com

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
Lol that is some of the dumbest $hit I've ever heard. Who sends their engine's to japan for building? who sends their engines to spoon for building?

I PM'ed you for a good machine shop and engine builder.

...a smart person, who dosent want to blow thier engine

hotrodb18a asked a question and tgansert gave him the correct answer. 25 PSI is alot of boost. i run onlt 14 PSI and even i am thinking of getting a full engine balancing (if i had the money)

let me ask you... how much boost are you running on your high compression gsr engine?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 AM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

goodluck man
Old 09-10-2005, 08:34 AM
qtiger

What is this crap? First of all, Spoon? For a built turbo motor? Riiight. Someone has spent too much time in fantasy JDM land.

Second, stop thinking 25+ lbs and nitrous and make a power goal. Your goal should be in horsepower, not pounds of boost. Come back when you have some realistic expectations.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:44 AM
hakjai

Originally Posted by qtiger
What is this crap? First of all, Spoon? For a built turbo motor? Riiight. Someone has spent too much time in fantasy JDM land.

Second, stop thinking 25+ lbs and nitrous and make a power goal. Your goal should be in horsepower, not pounds of boost. Come back when you have some realistic expectations.
its good for bragging rights...i run xx psi and nitrous
Old 09-10-2005, 11:02 AM
tgansert
is all good

http://www.modifiedcars.com/cars/591.htm

Just an FYI: When he says 'Spoon Sports blueprinted b18c' that means his motor had the hands of Spoon engineers machining, porting, polishing, milling, stroking, and finally balancing all the while drawing blueprints for every square millimeter of his motor. Take a good look at that car, a total stock-boy except for what's inside the power plant. This man should be a role model for us all. Even tuned out like this, his car will run for another 200k miles.

Now.. since you are going turbo, watch your compression. This is also where Spoon can help. You can specify this to be a F/I car and they won't mill the head down and create uber high compression that is needed in endurance racing. They will strengthen that which decades of research and development has taught them about building Honda motors. Unlike anyone tells you, Spoon can engineer an F/I motor just as well as they can an N/A motor.

If you are gonna slap all your turbo and no2 shit on there anyway, don't mill the head!. The compression on a worked/tuned b18c or b18c5 is TOO HIGH (in the ballpark of 11.1:1) to run 25psi. You're gonna need to beef up all the connecting rods, head bolts, and a number of other odds and ends. Oh yeah, give the vacuum lines a little love.

Here's another IMHO: snatch up a CRV motor. Port/Polish and get a second rate balancing job done ('some guy' at 'some machine shop'). Throw a turbo on the bitch and spray it to death. Don't forget new exhaust. ---

Here's the EASIEST thing to do: you can drop all this 25psi and nitrous nonsense and squeeze 350hp all motor. I imagine you'll get more respect for that & your motor will thank you for not making it look like a huge pussy.

And by the way, JDM land isn't fantasy, it's just forbidden to those with body kits, Z3 fenders, more than one wing on a hatchback, or aluminum wings. Oh, and if you die and your piece of shit civic is still primered, you don't get to go to JDM land. :nod:

Last edited by tgansert; 09-10-2005 at 02:25 PM. Reason: m3 should read z3
Old 09-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by tgansert

Just an FYI: When he says 'Spoon Sports blueprinted b18c' that means his motor had the hands of Spoon engineers machining, porting, polishing, milling, stroking, and finally balancing all the while drawing blueprints for every square millimeter of his motor. Take a good look at that car, a total stock-boy except for what's inside the power plant. This man should be a role model for us all. Even tuned out like this, his car will run for another 200k miles.

Now.. since you are going turbo, watch your compression. This is also where Spoon can help. You can specify this to be a F/I car and they won't mill the head down and create uber high compression that is needed in endurance racing. They will strengthen that which decades of research and development has taught them about building Honda motors. Unlike anyone tells you, Spoon can engineer an F/I motor just as well as they can an N/A motor.

If you are gonna slap all your turbo and no2 shit on there anyway, don't mill the head!. The compression on a worked/tuned b18c or b18c5 is TOO HIGH (in the ballpark of 11.1:1) to run 25psi. You're gonna need to beef up all the connecting rods, head bolts, and a number of other odds and ends. Oh yeah, give the vacuum lines a little love.

Here's another IMHO: snatch up a CRV motor. Port/Polish and get a second rate balancing job done ('some guy' at 'some machine shop'). Throw a turbo on the bitch and spray it to death. Don't forget new exhaust. ---
im gonna need some dyno sheets before i believe anything on that page. no way he is making 290whp NA with the mods he listed. it looks like the guy just copy and pasted the spoon catalog for his mods list. and if you do send your engine to spoon to build for boost you truely are living in f&f land or have so much money it's filling the area in your head where your brain should be.

spoon is not the best out there.

Here's the EASIEST thing to do: you can drop all this 25psi and nitrous nonsense and squeeze 350hp all motor. I imagine you'll get more respect for that & your motor will thank you for not making it look like a huge pussy.
350hp all motor? not from a b series.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 PM
qtiger

:lmfao:
Wow. Just... wow.

First of all, Spoon motors are all Honda parts. They do not mill, stroke, port, or polish. They blueprint. That is all. They do this to stay legal in the race classes their clients run in. The only truly modified part supplied with their longblocks is a 2 ply headgasket.

Second, Spoon has never made a stroker kit for the B18C motors. They produced a stroker kit for the B18B to bring it to B18C specs.

Third, you do not "send your motor away" to Spoon. You just buy one of their motors. You can go online and do it in 45 seconds. It's not magic, it's not uber, it's just expensive.

You will never, except in your very dirtiest riceboy fantasies, ever produce 350 whp from a naturally aspirated B series engine. Not with open header, not with 87mm bore, not with a fox or in a box.