Notices

Opinions on Big brake kits

Old 08-22-2005, 08:19 PM
slvrteg
big boys toys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Big brake kits

I have been looking to upgrade the front brakes on my gsr and have come across this site ( http://fastbrakes.com/shop/index.php?cPath=28_36 ).
They seem to have very good prices and reasonable upgrades. I'm not looking for anything larger than a 12inch rotor. and i also don't want to spend $2k on them either. Has any one had personal experience with these products or any suggestions. THanks
Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Just my opinion... they provide more stopping power. But they are heavier and the trade off is... uncool.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
slvrteg
big boys toys

could you elaborate a bit more on why they are uncool please. also, does the abs still work like stock. any other problems you, or anyone else knows of.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

abs should work if the brakes are capatiable, personally i would save my money and do something else, that should be the last thing on your mod list, put nicer pads and u will achieve better stopping distances
Old 08-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Keep in mind that a big brake kit will not clear those pretty blades you have on there. You will need a 17" rim for clearance.

Personally, I don't see the point. The car doesn't look like it is ever at the track, so it doesn't need a huge brake kit. Get a nice set of pads and you should be good.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:16 PM
WiseGuyOnCouch
Live, Die, & Drive Fast!

yeah i agree, big brakes stopping can be achieved through better pads, cuz honda's brake systems are some of the best in the business to begin with! I mean I was doing about 70 the other day down the high way and some idiot on a cell phone pulled out in front of me and i had no way to change lanes, so i stomped the brakes and yanked the e-brake and magically kept from hitting the bitch! granted I was sideways at the end of it, but I was alive with my car in tact!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:45 AM
9600baud
JDM rox ur world

I think the wilwood kits clear 16's but dont quote me on that. They look pretty too.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:18 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I went with Powerslot rotors which worked with my calipers, and I use a better than average set of brake pads. Which is plenty to stop you on the streets.

I can't remember what month it was, but there was an article in Honda Tuning where a guy (with an NSX) had found a company that makes special ultra-light brake kits, that still work very well if not a little better than the stock pieces. This guy was able to lighten his car by like 70 lbs. or something near that which is huge for simply changine out brake kits. Also because rotational weight is compounded as it rotates. I.... don't know the scientific explanation. Someone else help me out.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
bnuk

I saw a write up on honda-tech about putting NSX brakes on an integra and using redrilled large diameter honda OEM rotors. pretty niffty.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 AM
slvrteg
big boys toys

I was going to get 16" wheels at some point so I don't know if cleararence will still be an issue. The front OEM rotors seem small so I was going to upgrade. I have no issues with my braking abilities as they are but figured more is better. I want to go forced induction at some point and figured I will need the added safety of bigger brakes. No I don't spend any time at the track at all. Just street. The Wilwoods on that site are the ones I will probably get, if I get anything. any other advice or experiences?? what setups do you guys use.