Notices

Clutch&Engine mount problems plz help

Old 08-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch&Engine mount problems plz help

firstly...I have a 1992 acura integra gs 1.8 4dr. 189,000 miles. I use this car to commute to work and everywhere.

Recently I've had a new muffler and passenger side driveaxle put on.

For the last 6 weeks I've been hearing a knocking/clicking noise when I make turns. More so on left turns. I suspect the engine mounts are bad. Mechanic said my cv joints were okay...All they did was look at the boots though for leaking.

**Note I don't always trust what mechanics say.**

In the last 2 weeks my exhaust has become louder and louder coming from the front. I suspect close to where it connects to the engine in front. hole? disconnection?

In the last few days I've been having trouble getting 2nd gear and even 3rd gear to grab. I usually just push the clutch in twice to get it to grab. the pressure of the clutch pedal has become more stiff. I can feel a click in the pedal. It seems much thinner when I'm letting off clutch in first.

I've worked on my acura plenty before. But with each thing that goes wrong its a learning process for me to figure out how to fix it. I've kept this thing going almost 200,000 miles. Now I'm worried I might have to just give up on it.

The first priority is that I fix this clutch problem. 2nd priority is the clicking on turns. the loud exhaust I can put off until last. Can anyone help me diagnose whats causing some of these problems? Once I get some kind of an idea and some tips I can jack the car up and get under the hood and dirty.

Or someone just offer me money to take this burden off my hands so I can just get a new (used) car off the lot. I can post pictures.

feedback/ideas/speculations/tips/experience/advice/diagrams/instructions/encouragement/recommendations --- I need all of this. I am new to this forum. hopefully there are some integra gurus. Much appreciation

-Sense-A
Old 08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The clutch is probably just worn out and needs to be replaced. When was the last time it was replaced?

The clicking is most likely the CV joints. Looking at the boot for leaking grease doesn't tell you anything about the joint. You would actually have to remove the boot and disassemble it to determine if it is bad or not. If you have basic hand tools, I recommend just buying a rebuilt axle and replacing the clicking one with it.

The loud exhaust may be due to a leak somewhere. Check all the connections and gaskets first and then check for any holes that it could be leaking from.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Sense-A
Mentor

Yeah I haven't changed the clutch for 5 years now. Like I said its probably all this stop and go traffic commuting that wore it out this summer. Okay so should i pull a clutch off an Acura in the junkyard or buy a new kit? How much am I looking to pay? Whats the difference b/w stage 1 stage 2 stage 3 clutches? Anyone else change their own clutch? difficulty?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Sense-A
Yeah I haven't changed the clutch for 5 years now. Like I said its probably all this stop and go traffic commuting that wore it out this summer. Okay so should i pull a clutch off an Acura in the junkyard or buy a new kit? How much am I looking to pay? Whats the difference b/w stage 1 stage 2 stage 3 clutches? Anyone else change their own clutch? difficulty?
Personally, I would just buy a new OEM clutch. It will be cheaper and last longer than a racing clutch.

In terms of doing it yourself, it is a bitch. There is a writeup on this site on a D-series, but it is pretty similar, so you can look it over and see if you want to tackle it.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Sense-A
Mentor

okay i took a short drive today. Seems my clutch switches fine EXCEPT when in high rpm. The clutch will slip, meanwhile the rpm's fall, then the 2nd time the clutch will grab easy.

I am beginning to think that the new clutch problems might have something to do with the clicking noises that come from the passenger side (when i make left turns). The clutch system is on the passenger side of my car correct? by the axle? and my passenger side front axle is new. Now things are starting to link together.

Schmoo: what writeup where do I look? I am a newer member. thx for the feedback so far
Old 08-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Sense-A
Mentor

UPDATE: Mechanic looked at it for 2 days. Said he thinks I need a new clutch and that the manual transmission is going bad. To pay a mechanic to do it would cost more than the car's worth.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

A different mechanic said he's 95% sure my manual transmission is alright. That I just need a new clutch. He said he'd put a $300 clutch in for $250 labor. I'm debating whether I could get a clutch cheaper and if I should do it myself in my garage. Any suggestions/advice?

Oh and the cranking/clicking noise is coming from my new passenger side axle that was put in. However I don't know the exact cause.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would just take him up on the labor and parts charges. Changing a clutch is a very in-depth job and if you aren't mechanically inclined and don't have proper tools, it will be a complete nightmare.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

I'm 3 mounting bolts away from pulling the transmission. it really isn't that hard it just takes time and patience. Mostly just bolts.

Sorry, I just like doing things myself. I am confident, especially with this forum as guidance and your advice.

I haven't ordered the clutch yet. I'm getting a factory OEM for about $100. First I want to have a look inside this transmission and at the old clutch. Right now i'm looking for air compressor/tools. see below

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=203008
Old 08-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I didn't use any air tools when I did my clutch. The 2' breaker bar came in handy on almost all the bolts and it only cost me $15.