Notices

Theft Prevention - Alarm vs. Pedal Locks vs. LoJack

Old 08-09-2005, 11:08 PM
shadower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft Prevention - Alarm vs. Pedal Locks vs. LoJack

If everything works out, it looks like I'll be an ITR owner this next week. Knowing that the car is quite prone to be ripped off – either the whole thing or in parts – I intend to get an alarm installed immediately. But that brings up a few questions.

First off, isn't any alarm, no matter how expensive of fancy, just auditory deterrence? It seems like hardly anyone even pays attention at car alarms going off anymore, so how does this ultimately protect your car from more than the casual punk kid?

Secondly, what do you all think about the LoJack system? It seems like it's completely on the other end... no deterrence factor. It's all about ultimately recovering your car... even if it's been stripped, mangled, and shot all the hell. Greaaaat.

There's always pedal locks, but I've heard the stores that sell them also sell the tools to break them to anyone who asks.

Help me out here. The ITR is a beautiful car, and just the generic Integra line is listed around 7 times on the list of 2004's most stolen cars. How can I put my mind at ease that I've done everything I can to protect it?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:09 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

or you can just all of it?

just do the whole deal.
i got an autoloc for my clutch, steering wheel thingie, one that locks shifter and e-brake

install a pager alarm, starter kill, ignition kill, battery kill, fuel cut-off AND get low jack.

it might be a hassle but better be safe than sorry.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:16 AM
civic_04

Originally Posted by wedley2
or you can just all of it?

just do the whole deal.
i got an autoloc for my clutch, steering wheel thingie, one that locks shifter and e-brake

install a pager alarm, starter kill, ignition kill, battery kill, fuel cut-off AND get low jack.

it might be a hassle but better be safe than sorry.

good call especially with a type r, but that's still not a 100% solution to theft
Old 08-19-2005, 05:15 PM
jdmspec
1997 jdm Integra type R

Yeah.. itrs are prone to theft here too so what does everyone recommend???????
I know the hood pull can be relocated and the fuel pump switch can be cut and a switch installed... but has anyone else any recomendations
Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Yeah.. itrs are prone to theft here too so what does everyone recommend???????
I know the hood pull can be relocated and the fuel pump switch can be cut and a switch installed... but has anyone else any recomendations
well, i have the autoloc and it even has a money back gurantee saying that if the car get stolen when it has the autoloc on..they shall give you a certain amount of money but of course, you need to register the car with autoloc and such.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Flatland2D

Buy a handgun in the caliber of your choice and park your car as close to your bedroom window as possible with the alarm on. That's what I do.

Of course that only works when you're at home...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 PM
rugsr
How do my taillights look

i got the compustar with the pager. actually worked a few times and i chased the kids down, to bad i didnt beat them! anyways i like it and its got nifty features. get one on ebay. fuel switch is a must along w/ relocating the hood cable, also leave your car in gear so it cant be towed from the rear. BUT any flat bed will take care of that, thats why the pager is a must!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
B18C Turbo

My friends 1998 CW ITR had it lock down. Had auto loc on both cluch and brake pedals. Has a 2 way pager alarm. A fuel pump cut off switch, takes the ecu with him evrywhere. Never attempted theft with this car.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:21 PM
hakjai

I think if i had an R i would do the same , i half expected to see stories of people having everything on their cars and still getting it stolen. Disheartening.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:59 AM
mrbkkt1
Aiea, HI

autoloc can be defeated. you can just unbolt the brake pedal and rebolt it on.
get a good alarm, preferably 2 way( autopage, compustar, matrix etc.) then get the manual, and make sure you delete all other keys just in case. people who want it real bad will just tow it anyway.