Notices

New front axles, now a new noise

Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 PM
gsrgrl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New front axles, now a new noise

Car: 92 GSR, 83000 miles
Took my baby to an independent shop to get both front axle assemblies replaced to fix CV joint problems (clicking on both sides.) Mechanic who seems to know his stuff said he had to use air to pry off the driver's side axle since he couldn't separate it from the intermediate axle going into tranny. Now it has a new CV axle assy PLUS he replaced the left side intermed. shaft with a used one which he ordered from a parts yard to avoid Acura's $300 price tag. Still with me?
Problem now is, I notice a new, constant hum/roar, increases at higher speeds, from the front end. Like the wheel noise on a monster truck! I hear it on the left since that's where I sit; can't tell if it's right side too. Same mechanic took a ride with me and says it's normal noise or may be tires/balance/rotate, etc. My tires only have 10K miles and never sounded this loud before.
Any ideas on what to check next? Any possibility the bearing was also damaged in the process? Anyone know any serious 'Teg mechs in the DC Metro area?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Sounds like an alignment problem. The alignment might have been knocked out of whack when working with the suspension parts.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:51 AM
gsrgrl

Default Thanks Schmoo

I guess I can go the usual maintenance route - align, balance, rotate - and see if it helps. It's time for that stuff anyway!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Step One - The first thing I would recommend is to rotate the tires. You can do this at home for almost nothing. If you can't do this at home, take it somewhere (step two) and get a balance done too. See if it helps.
Step Two - I would be to take the car to a tire shop and ask someone to look at the tires for excessive cupping that could indicate that the car needs an alignment. I've been told by a couple of different shops(including the dealer) that Hondas hold alignment pretty well even after beating them around on a suspension job.
Step Three - Take it to Honda for an estimate and ask them what they think. They should do this for free. I would hazard to guess it's a bad wheel bearing that was knocked out of whack when the were taking the axles out.

Just my .02 to save you some money trying to figure out whats wrong. h: