Notices

Camshaft question.....

Old 04-04-2005, 08:16 AM
JMcDB18C
JDMB18CIntegra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft question.....

Sup Guys, I got a 98 Spec R and Im going to boost it here within the next couple weeks and I was wondering if they was a cam out there that's awesome for power in a turbo setup or just leave the stock ITR cams in there as everyone is telling me. Info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jon
Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

to turbocharge an ITR is pointless and goes against everything how the car was engineered to perform
N/A is best IMHO
Old 04-04-2005, 11:35 AM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

If you're dying to change cams for boost, throw in a set of GSR cams. They've been shown to work well with turbos and superchargers.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:48 PM
gsr wannabe

Soo, if I were going with a turbo setup on a gsr, I should stick w/ my stock cams? what about being able to run the engine @ higher rpms? I under stand that w/ proper cams, redline can be moved up to and beyond 10 grand--safely.

someone please tell me what I'm talking about

:slap: :driving: wned:
to all those damn z28's
Old 04-04-2005, 07:39 PM
01teg-R

Are you talking about Redline beyond 10 grand--safely under boost??? or are u talking about N/A becuase i doupt that ur going to take a boosted engine up to 10,000 RPM and it be safe in any car... built or not... i mean i know its been done but its going to cost a lot of money and i hope u have a lot of money if u plan on doing that to a even semi built B18 or B18C5
Old 04-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

As long as you upgrade the springs and retainers for a higher redline, you can go there. There is no point to go that high unless you make power there with your setup. Keep the rev limit and stock cams if you decide to boost.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:51 AM
RisforTypeR

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
to turbocharge an ITR is pointless and goes against everything how the car was engineered to perform
N/A is best IMHO
:yes: I can't agree with that anymore
Old 04-06-2005, 04:10 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

Originally Posted by Shmoo
As long as you upgrade the springs and retainers for a higher redline, you can go there. There is no point to go that high unless you make power there with your setup. Keep the rev limit and stock cams if you decide to boost.
:thumbup:

And over 10k is pretty much useless for a majority of the cams for these cars, likely all the "standard" aftermarket cams.

I think he wants 10k or higher just to brag, doesn't matter if it's slower.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR
:thumbup:

And over 10k is pretty much useless for a majority of the cams for these cars, likely all the "standard" aftermarket cams.

I think he wants 10k or higher just to brag, doesn't matter if it's slower.
He won't be bragging when his springs bind and the valves slap the pistons and break. Keep it at the stock limit, especially when boosted. The extra amount of stress an engine takes at higher than stock rev limits is enough to snap a rod and/or rod bolt and distroy an engine unless the bottom end has been rebuilt.