Notices

Question regarding fouled plugs

Old 03-17-2005, 07:06 PM
95tegraGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding fouled plugs and car not starting

I don't have a lot of experience working on cars so may sound kinda newbish,

So I get in my car to go to work and it starts up like it does every morning and runs for about 15 secs and then just shuts off. Now it will crank and crank but won't turn over. So I checked to hear the fuel pump and i can hear it so that's good, then I checked all my fuses and they all look good. So now i'm on to the plugs. I pull each plug and find that plug #1 is black on the end and looks wet so I smell it and it smells like gas. Then plug #2, same thing but a little worse, #3 is even worse and #4 is completely soaked all the way pu the threads. Black and brown and wet with fuel.

What would cause this? Hopefully whatever is wrong is an easy fix that I can do and won't have to go to a shop.

Thanks HAN!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:10 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Sounds like you have no fire. Start with the plugs, but it could as well be any combonation of things in the ignition set-up. Trial and error my friend. Process of elimination. Get a manual.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would start with a basic tuneup of distributor cap and rotor, new wires, and spark plugs and see if that fixes the problem. There is too much fuel being dumping in so checking for stuck/faulty injectors may also be a good idea.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:31 PM
95tegraGSR

right on, thanks guys. I have all day saturday wide open so i'll see what i can come up with.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 PM
95tegraGSR

alright, here's what I did today..

First thing I checked is the fuel pump and i can hear it kick on along with the fuel rail pressurizing. Then I checked all my fuses and everything is good. So pulled each plug and replaced them since they were kinda old and checked for spark and that's good. I even pulled the plugs again after trying to start the car again and they are wet with gas so i'm getting fuel. Tried to the turn it over again and I heard a "pop" and everything shut off. no lights, nothing. I waited about 10 mins. and tried again. Lights and everything else came back on for a few tries and then I heard the "pop" again, and everything shut back off. waited another 10 mins. or so and now I have lights and everything else but it still won't turn over. I'm getting really frustrated at this point and even busted off a valve cover stud so that topped things off.

I'm bout ready to get a flat bed and tow it to a shop. What do you guys think is wrong? I've heard a few people say timing but I wouldn't even know where to start to fix/adjust that.

thanks for the help guys
Old 03-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Timing is easy. You need a timing gun though. Loosen the 2-3 bolts on your distributor, jump the service connector, and then aim the timing light that you just hooked up at the crank pulley and try to get the light at the red marks by turning the distributor. I highly doubt it is the timing because my car will start and idle just fine at fully advanced and fully retarded timing. I wish I could give you some advice but there are 1001 things it could possibly be.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:55 PM
95tegraGSR

thanks for the reply man. I think i'll just call a tow on monday and take it to a local shop. it always sucks when you can't fix the car yourself
Old 03-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Yeah, it makes me feel very powerless. If you have AAA, they will tow the car for free within 5 miles and it is only like $5 per additional mile. Trust me, it sucks because I had to get my car towed to my local mechanic, then a high-performance shop, and then back to my house within 3 days.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:00 PM
95tegraGSR

This sucks....towed the car to a shop today. distributor is toast....ordered a new one and should be in tomorrow. i'm looking at a $500 bill for everything. at least it will run for another month or so and then we'll see what else goes out.