Notices

Burning Oil

Old 03-15-2005, 07:16 PM
craig5_12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Oil

I have an 87 Integra that seems to leak oil into the cyllinders when it is shut off. I think this is the problem because everytime I start the car it's got lots of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, along with some water. It didn't do this the first couple times I ran the car which makes me think something broke? Anybody have any ideas or did I come to the wrong forum?

Need a little help here,

Craig
Old 03-15-2005, 07:31 PM
dubcac
I

Sounds like your headgasket is blown. That would cause oil and coolant to leak into the cylinders and burn.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:33 PM
craig5_12

I thought so too....problem is, I've taken the head off already and the headgasket is almost brand new!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:59 PM
dubcac
I

Do a compression test.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:05 PM
craig5_12

I did, the test came out fine. The biggest difference between cyllinders was only about 8psi and they all built pressure rapidly. Thats why the head is off now, I thought it would be the head gasket. Any other ideas?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would say piston rings. I had water and smoke when I first started the car and my compression was great. The oil control rings were totally worn though, so after I replaced them, it stopped burning oil completely. With an engine that old, it wouldn't hurt to replace the rings since the head is off anyway.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:38 PM
craig5_12

Thanks. I was thinking of going that route too. My only hesitation is that there are hone marks still in the cyllinders which makes me believe that a previous owner rebuilt the engine or at least tuned it up. I don't want to take out the rings just to find out they've been changed already. At this point though, I guess it won't hurt. I may just end up picking up a B18 or a ZC and throwing that in there....hee hee
Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 PM
dubcac
I

Valve stem seals?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:49 PM
craig5_12

HaHa, good point! I thought that one out too. You bring up another question I was about to post. After buying two different Valve Spring Compressors and finding neither of them work, I decided to go ghetto with a mallet and a deep socket....I got one spring off (seal looked good) and decided that continuing in that manner would only be a major PITA if I had to put them back on. What is the best way/tool for compressing/installing? I would like to check the other seals.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I ran into the same problem. I was planning on replacing my valve seals when I did my rings but couldn't find a compressor that would work. It seems that there is some attachment you need to get into the tiny crevasse of Honda heads to compress the springs. I still have the seals lying around in my garage.

I had hone marks on my cylinder walls too. I would just replace the rings since you are down there regardless of whether they were recently replaced since they could have been broken in improperly or the cylinder walls are too smooth even though you can see the hone marks. It was a combination of my cylinder walls being too smooth and my oil control rings being shot that contributed to the oil burning. It looks like the same situation in your case.