Notices

Overfilling gas tank

Old 12-01-2002, 08:05 PM
crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrFatBooty
[B]You could always siphon it out before the insurance adjusters get to it.

Old 12-01-2002, 09:23 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

I've run the car to empty a couple of times. I mean empty as in I'm walking to the gas station. I haven't had any fuel related problems (yet) and I've put almost 100k miles on my car. As far as overfilling, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Once when I was in the process of filling up my tank I noticed that the pump just kept going and going and going and going. I started hearing rather violent gurgling sounds as if the tank was about to overflow. Before I knew it I was greeted by a huge explosion of gasoline from the opening of my gas tank. Apparently, the automatic shutoff for the fuel pump was busted. The biggest problem I had was the gas that had leaked all over my rear brake rotors , so I had to hose that off real quick before driving. Don't want my rotors to go up in flames when I brake at the next stoplight.

The only advice I can give for filling up your integra is to try to get gas from the same gas station each time.

Shingo
Old 12-02-2002, 04:47 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

lol!! rotors on fire! but i doubt that would happen because gasoline being highly volatile also evaporates rather quickly - so by the time you paid for your gas and bought a pack of smokes, the gas would be off the rotors.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:43 AM
MountainGSR
Irisher than Thou

Originally posted by Shingoblade-GSR
The biggest problem I had was the gas that had leaked all over my rear brake rotors , so I had to hose that off real quick before driving. Don't want my rotors to go up in flames when I brake at the next stoplight.
I think I just thought of a new "Fast and Furious" APC product.

"You've seen the discs on Rally and LeMans cars light up at night, but now you can go one better! Introducing "Wheels of Fire," a new product designed to make your rotors glow (and even shoot flames!) at night or in the day! Simply spray on our patented "Insta-Flame" spray and watch as your friends are amazed by the flames coming from you wheels!

Disclaimer: Not safe for use on public highways. Off-highway use only. Flames may damage paint, tires, ego. Certain types of "Insta-Flame" release gasses have been shown to cause brain damage. Always wear your safety belt." :thumbup:
Old 12-02-2002, 07:04 AM
XSrcing

Originally posted by MountainGSR

"You've seen the discs on Rally and LeMans cars light up at night, but now you can go one better! Introducing "Wheels of Fire," a new product designed to make your rotors glow (and even shoot flames!) at night or in the day! Simply spray on our patented "Insta-Flame" spray and watch as your friends are amazed by the flames coming from you wheels!

Disclaimer: Not safe for use on public highways. Off-highway use only. Flames may damage paint, tires, ego. Certain types of "Insta-Flame" release gasses have been shown to cause brain damage. Always wear your safety belt." :thumbup:
you know they probably would try to sell something like that.

i have driven about 95 miles after my gas light came on once and was only able to put in 12.9 gallons, and that is with a little over fill. but it was literally all highway driving.

but one thing to watch out for: try no to get gas at a gas station for at least a couple hours after a tanker has just filled the underground tanks. those stir up alot of residue which the pumps pull and put in your car. i've seen several cars that had to have all their fuel lines replaced and their tank scraped because of this. but it never got past the fuel filter.

and sugar or sand in the gas tank just wrecks fuel lines. the gas dissolves the sugar and creates deposits. think of it like cholesterol and an artery. sand builds up and every kink and bend. your car eventually gets no fuel and has an "heart attack". then you pay $5000 in labor and $400 in parts to get it fixed(at least on an nsx).
Old 12-02-2002, 03:17 PM
95TEGyoure it
Billy Sexcrime

:chuckles: = MountainGSR

but one thing to watch out for: try no to get gas at a gas station for at least a couple hours after a tanker has just filled the underground tanks. those stir up alot of residue which the pumps pull and put in your car. i've seen several cars that had to have all their fuel lines replaced and their tank scraped because of this. but it never got past the fuel filter.
hmmm would you be able to file a lawsuit?
Old 12-02-2002, 04:00 PM
integlos

chevron gas is great :thumbup:
Old 12-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by MountainGSR

That was pretty funny :thumbup:

"Make your rotors have the iCy hOt sTreetZ GLOW"

Couple that with dragon fire and you got yourself a smokin' ride.

Shingo
Old 12-02-2002, 11:02 PM
1funride
99 Integra LS

Default Re: Overfilling gas tank

Originally posted by ekjl
What can happen if you overfill your gas tank? Today I overfilled it ;_;. Is there some way to tell if it's starting to overfill?

What kind of damage does it do to the car? Specifically, my '93 Integra GS-R?
Topping off is a big:nono: here in Cali.

Quick Reply: Overfilling gas tank