Notices

Front anti-sway bar

Old 12-21-2004, 07:18 AM
anewsom
RoadRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front anti-sway bar

I have removed my front anti-sway bar from my 92 Integra and have found that with a stiff springs and Tokico shocks the car actually handles better.

Has anyone else done this or has a different opinion?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Actually, that's a common "upgrade" for auto-X ers to make the car understeer less. The car "handles" better on low speed turns, but loses stability and ease of control for high speed conditions.

If you ever upgrade the rear sway bar, though, but the front sway bar back on, or else you will have some wonderful unexpected snap oversteer that could send your car off the road.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:25 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Thats crazy. I'm glad I read this...
Old 12-29-2004, 08:50 AM
anewsom
RoadRacer

I run my car at Road Atlanta (2.5 mile road course) on there track days and corner at speeds of 90+mph and haven't seen any loss of stability. I think it has to do with how the car is set up. My car will still push (understeer) but I have never experienced any oversteer with the car.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Removing the front way will usually improve turn in, but you do loose some camber control when you start compressing the suspension. Personally I have never like the feel of a car with out a front sway bar, but that does not make it wrong, what ever feels the best to you and that you can drive with confidence is what you should do.
Remember a Sway bar is like a spring so for example, if you make your front sway larger you are increase traction in the rear of the car and making the car want to rotate less and probably understreer more. When you decrease the size of the front, you are essentially making the rear sway bar larger and increasing traction up front.