Notices

Jumped battery blew electrical system

Old 10-15-2004, 04:08 PM
IrishBrewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumped battery blew electrical system

My friends car stalled so she called AAA for a tow and they decided to try to jump her battery. In doing so, they "blew her electrical system" and now it won't start. I'm not quite sure what they ment by that because I heard about it third hand.

I haven't seen it yet but I wanted to check here first to see what can typically go wrong with a jump. Would it be something like a main relay that got blown or maybe one of the bigger fuses that protect the starter?

Thanks.
IRISH
Old 10-15-2004, 04:46 PM
qtiger

Don't work on the car. It's the towing company's fault, they should pay to have it fixed by a professional.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:51 PM
acuratxracer
91 integra ls

ya man NO ONE SHOULD TOUCH THE CAR TILL UR FRIEND TALKS TO HER INSURANCE COMPANY seriously !!!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:59 PM
coolguytoo

yeah, make them pay, its prob only the battery fuse, but still have a tech look at it all
Old 10-15-2004, 05:39 PM
trex_tegra

chances are its just the main realy but u should definatly talk to the tow company and insurance on the tow company fixing the problem seeing as it was them who messed it up
Old 10-15-2004, 07:16 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by coolguytoo
yeah, make them pay, its prob only the battery fuse, but still have a tech look at it all
It's probably not a big deal but I would AAA cover the damages. It probably was the battery fuse under the hood. It looks like a fat son of bitch fuse, and if that goes out you won't get anything when you turn the key. All you will feel is the tension when you turn it and that;s about it. You can bypass that fuse just by jumping it w/a wire. But that is only temporary. The fuse is there to blow to prevent any damage. With the bypass, if you have a problem the car catch fire and that's not good. I learned all this when I replaced an alternator and accidentally grounded the positive. Whoops...
Old 10-15-2004, 07:29 PM
worm696

Originally Posted by centerforce99
It's probably not a big deal but I would AAA cover the damages. It probably was the battery fuse under the hood. It looks like a fat son of bitch fuse, and if that goes out you won't get anything when you turn the key. All you will feel is the tension when you turn it and that;s about it. You can bypass that fuse just by jumping it w/a wire. But that is only temporary. The fuse is there to blow to prevent any damage. With the bypass, if you have a problem the car catch fire and that's not good. I learned all this when I replaced an alternator and accidentally grounded the positive. Whoops...
we have a winner. they prob touched pos. to body.