Notices

gsr vs ls/vtec?

Old 10-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with FI. Much more reliable and much easier to do with better results.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:07 PM
So.Cal_INTEGRA

A buddy of mine had (yes had, because it got jacked while parked on the driveway) a B20vtec turbo and it pulled like no other. I believe his best run was in the mid 11's on drag slicks, but the car was built don't get me wrong. The bottom end was built and the head was built, he ran the car on Hondata too.

Now like I said it was a B20 not a LS, but if it ran that good on how thin its cylinder walls are compared to a 1.8 LS without having any problem with the bottom end, then I’m sure as hell confident that a LS bottom end would hold up better.

The fact of the matter still is, even if you go NA you got to build the motor internally sooner or later.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by So.Cal_INTEGRA
The fact of the matter still is, even if you go FI you got to build the motor internally sooner or later.

I agree with that....don't get me wrong. The bang for the buck is a whole lot bigger initially than an LS/VTEC however.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:45 PM
bmr4193

Default what is a ls/vtec

what is an ls/vtec i have never heard of that before, can someone explain it?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:06 PM
j87w

My plan is to leave my rev limiter at around 7200 or 7500 at the highest until the motor is built. I know I wont have the motors full potential but atleast I wont be revving it alot higher than a stock ls bottom is supposed to. Another idea I had is to just get the b16a ecu and leave the rev limiter at 8200 and when I race it bring it to that. I dont rag out my car or race alot so Im not to worried about blowing it. Ill have it built before to long and then I can for sure handle 8200.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:31 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by bmr4193
what is an ls/vtec i have never heard of that before, can someone explain it?
ls integra bottom end of engine (block) mated (matched) to your choice of a gsr or si head. Better known as a frankenstein.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

People know that any and all of the "power boost" that comes from a LS/VTEC setup is derivative from the facts that the B18B has a slightly higher displacement, and usually the machining of the head and other components that's associated with the install itself. A stock GS-R block has FAR more potential with more reliability than a LS/VTEC block.

Look at it logically: If honda could have made more power reliably from such a setup, why didn't Honda just manufacture all of the B18C series to just be a B18B blocks with a VTEC head?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:29 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by Epoch
People know that any and all of the "power boost" that comes from a LS/VTEC setup is derivative from the facts that the B18B has a slightly higher displacement, and usually the machining of the head and other components that's associated with the install itself. A stock GS-R block has FAR more potential with more reliability than a LS/VTEC block.

Look at it logically: If honda could have made more power reliably from such a setup, why didn't Honda just manufacture all of the B18C series to just be a B18B blocks with a VTEC head?
Truer words were never spoken. Hence: this is why I drive a GSR w/a GSR block.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:17 PM
So.Cal_INTEGRA

A Ls/vtec will beat a gsr. The thing with a gsr is that it gets all its power once its in vtec or in high RPM, but like what everybody knows is that Torque is what wins races not HP. That’s why Honda came out with the variable valve timing, which once it hits vtec it kicks into a more aggressive cam setting. Where as a Ls has no variable valve timing so its on that aggressive cam setting from the beginning. If you notice a LS pulls in lower RPM ranges compared to a GSR which doesn’t because of the torque. The biggest problem with a LS motor however is its head, and everybody in the Honda world knows this. Now if you put a B16 head on a LS block it will make wonders. A b16 head is better then a B18c head. Now let me tell you, I have seen first hand Ls/Vtec and B20/vtec setups and watched them run thousands of times. When the Vtec snaps in on a LS or a CRV, it puts others to shame.

But estimate about 2 grand on building a LS or CRV into a Vtec powered power plant.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:10 PM
j87w

If you build it right it should last just as long as any other honda engine. If you half ass it or just slap a head on and rev the crap out of it, its not going to last. I think thats why so many people frown upon ls vtec. Its because they think they can just go slap a vtec head on an ls and it should rev to 8200. Then they rev the crap out of it and it blows. Then they say oh LS Vtec isnt reliable. On LSvtec it pretty much just depends on how you drive it and how it was built. If you do it the right way, yes its going to be expensive. But youll be happy that you wont have to worry bout your engine blowing or how reliable it is.