Notices

GSR ECU chipped w/ Skunk2

Old 08-14-2002, 10:59 AM
AcuraFiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR ECU chipped w/ Skunk2

A friend of mine wants to trade me his chipped GSR(P70a i think) ecu for my stocker. I guess the chip he has is for NA cars and he just put a massive turbo in. Does anyone know anything about the skunk2 chip? Im not positive which one it is but i will find out. Good deal or not? Gains, drawbacks???

Thanks

Ryan
Old 08-14-2002, 11:19 AM
AcuraFiend

OK, Skunk2 only makes one chip, i currently have I/H and plan a light NA build in a little while. Opinions, will this do more harm than good?
Old 08-14-2002, 12:27 PM
evo119
GO GIANTS!

I believe the skunk chip is for heavily modded NA cars. It advances the timing and fuel curve. If you had an upgraded valvetrain then I would go for it, but with just an I/H it's not worth it. Anyone agree?
Old 08-14-2002, 01:45 PM
StyleTEG
Make me an offer

I am against any chip that was not written specificly for your car using a dyno, or does not allow you to tune it.

If it is not custom made for your car, its just a programers best guess at what will work for the thousands of differently modified integras out there.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

ok i know this is probably a dumb question but can someone tell me when you say a chipped ecu, are you meaning like a whole new ecu. Cause i know skunk2 makes a whole new ecu that can be put in i'm just not sure what chipped means. sorry i was just wondering.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:19 PM
cincyGSR

I have a 94 GSR and I bought a skunk2 ECU and I noticed a big difference. It raised my redline from 8000rpm to 9500 rpm. It also made my car run richer, and the shop I got it from tld me that the next thing I should buy is a V-TECH controller, to help the ECU do its job better and more accurate. I have only had it in for a couple days but the shop I got it from said there is no problems with this, and it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:11 PM
StyleTEG
Make me an offer

Raising the redline on a stock valvetrain and cams is pointless. You are not going to be making any power after redline (you will notice on B18C dynos, the power begins to dip even before redline) and your valvetrain was not designed to take the extra abuse.

Running richer is not always good. Butt Dyno's are unreliable. Vtech is a phone technology , its vtec

Old 08-14-2002, 07:23 PM
AcuraFiend

Granted I wouldnt use the raised redline(c'mon thats just stupid on a stock valvetrain) would the chip do any harm to my car? Keeping in mind this is an even trade for my stock ecu, so money wise its a nice deal. Detrimental to the performance or mechanics?
Old 08-14-2002, 09:54 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally posted by cincyGSR
I have a 94 GSR and I bought a skunk2 ECU and I noticed a big difference. It raised my redline from 8000rpm to 9500 rpm. It also made my car run richer, and the shop I got it from tld me that the next thing I should buy is a V-TECH controller, to help the ECU do its job better and more accurate. I have only had it in for a couple days but the shop I got it from said there is no problems with this, and it shouldn't be a problem.
I would be carefull reving past 8000 RPMs if you have not upgraded your valves and valve springs. There is a reason why GSRs only rev to 8000...you don't want to go above that without some head work...you risk wrecking the head.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:14 AM
bgood7061
DO IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME

i revd way past 8000 rpm once and ended up bending the exhaust valves on the #3 cylinder on my GSR...#3 wouldn't detonate so the header on that cylinder was cold...think about upgrading your cylinder head more or end up 1500 in the hole like i did. right now i have a Dinan chip which is mapped to the modifications that i have on the car now...and i'm pretty satisfied with the performance...but i'll never rev that high again.

Quick Reply: GSR ECU chipped w/ Skunk2