Notices

So how bads this heat problem with JRSC?

Old 08-14-2002, 05:35 AM
98SmeLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how bads this heat problem with JRSC?

I'm sellin my LS for a GSR, planning a JRSC. Been debating the whole super vs turbo thing, I'm not looking for an all out drag car, just something i can hang with my buddies in their talons and wrxs. I like lots of low end torque so i'm going with the blower, but how bad is this heat soak thing? Would an aftermarket rad make any difference? I'm not looking do a pully upgrade, 6psis good for me.
Also, if i get a stage 1 t3/t4e turbo and run that at 6 psi, would it make more power than the jrsc? Any major differences in emissions?

thanks
Old 08-14-2002, 07:32 AM
newgsrdriver

Generally speaking, the turbo will make more peak power than the JRSC. But the powerbands are completely different.

The heat issue isnt like something that you have to take into account when you drive the car...its really NOT an issue. Just a negative aspect of the roots SC that people blow out of proprtion. You can get the Hondata intake manifold gasket, which helps lower the temps.

Is it hot? Yes. If its installed properly, will the heat create a problem? No.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:54 AM
WeaselGSR

The main problem with a roots blower is they tend to have terrible adiabatic efficiencies. Which means you get a lot more excess heating of the air during compression. Which mean hotter less dense intake charge, resulting in less power at the same boost level. Its a shame no one makes a screw compressor for the acura, they are much more efficient. A couple companies make them for cars with similar sized engines, so they could probably be fitted, but that's a different discussion altogether

As far as ultimate power, a supercharger can make every bit as much power as a turbo so long as its either big enough or you spin it fast enough. It's just turbos lend themselves better to plumbing to an intercooler simply based upon how they are installed in the car. ANd an intercooler is really a necessity if you're going to run high boost.

As far as the radiator, think of it this way. 40% more power means 40% more fuel consumption and 40% more heat generated and unless you want your engine coolant to be 40% hotter than you need a radiator that's 40% bigger

But I think in this situation you should be fine with stock, unless you're in a particularly hot climate
Old 08-14-2002, 08:44 AM
98SmeLS

Seeing that besides liquid injection theres really no way to cool charge air for a jrsc, how is it that a pulley kit for it can run 10psi's without problems, detonation or overheating. If the blowers spinning that much faster wouldn't it create even more heat? I'm not even considering doing this but from what i know about turbos, i and everyone i know, wouldn't run 10psi without an intercooler. And turbos rob heat from the engine as opposed to the supercharger adding heat. How is this done exactly, what are people with pulleys doing to cool the air and the engine?

Despite all that, i'm still going with the blower, only because i'm not planning any more than 6 psi of boost.

I'm looking to maximize power under these conditions. Any sugguestions as to what exhast system i should be running? headers/cat/catback. Would itr cams get me more power as well?Also, would something like an aem cai be good enough for a jrsc or do i need something that'll handle more flow?

Oh, one more thing, I'm in Toronto Canada and we have this drive clean testing done every 2 years. Anyone know if I'll have a hard time passing? I'll have to take this into consideration when choosing my cams and exhaust system.

Sorry bout all the questions, just curious, u people know ur stuff.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2002, 08:53 AM
kcteggy

I could only answer one question for ya. The stock cam should be the best cam. If you put other cam, it would lower the power of JSRC. From the JSRC website, they did variety of test on cam and that's their conclusion.
It's good news for me because that's less money I have to spend. When I get JSRC, I plan to get comptech exhaust 2.5" catback and Kamikazi 4-1 header.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Dariusz

In ansver to your questions:

1) Lots of heat?

Yes, but I run at 10.5 to 11.5 psi without detonations or other problems (my city is 80 to 86 degree f).

2) Is possible to cool it?

Yes, you can use water injection or Nitrous

3) Is the hot a problem?

No, I use my car in the city, in travels, in solo 1 events, etc.

I think this ansvers can help you...
Old 08-15-2002, 03:59 PM
DennisGSR

Originally posted by 98SmeLS
Seeing that besides liquid injection theres really no way to cool charge air for a jrsc, how is it that a pulley kit for it can run 10psi's without problems, detonation or overheating. If the blowers spinning that much faster wouldn't it create even more heat? I'm not even considering doing this but from what i know about turbos, i and everyone i know, wouldn't run 10psi without an intercooler. And turbos rob heat from the engine as opposed to the supercharger adding heat. How is this done exactly, what are people with pulleys doing to cool the air and the engine?

Despite all that, i'm still going with the blower, only because i'm not planning any more than 6 psi of boost.

I'm looking to maximize power under these conditions. Any sugguestions as to what exhast system i should be running? headers/cat/catback. Would itr cams get me more power as well?Also, would something like an aem cai be good enough for a jrsc or do i need something that'll handle more flow?

Oh, one more thing, I'm in Toronto Canada and we have this drive clean testing done every 2 years. Anyone know if I'll have a hard time passing? I'll have to take this into consideration when choosing my cams and exhaust system.

Sorry bout all the questions, just curious, u people know ur stuff.
Thanks
hey man glad to see another Toronto Teg I have a SC and yes when its hot outside especially during these heat waves we've been having my car tends to lag abit Im only boosting 6psi and have not really had any major detonation problems you just have to be cautious about it..... run the proper plugs, retard the timing acordingly and run the proper fuel and don't go boosting like a maniac and you'll be fine!

we have a new integra club here in Toronto you should come out with us
Old 08-16-2002, 03:17 AM
98SmeLS

Dennis GSR... I'll check u guys out for sure... let me know when the meets are.
monks090@sympatico.ca
Old 08-16-2002, 09:45 AM
DennisGSR

you got mail