Notices

Is engine braking bad for your car?

Old 08-01-2004, 12:38 PM
pirate252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan1234
Nope. It won't hurt your engine unless you over-rev.

Really? So sitting there reving your engine up and down is ok...as long as you dont over-rev??
Old 08-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

Originally Posted by pirate252
Really? So sitting there reving your engine up and down is ok...as long as you dont over-rev??
Revving an unloaded engine is more than a little different than increasing engine speed via torque applied to crank.
If you think doing that is so bad.... what's bad about it, then? Go ahead and break it down to stresses at a component level.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:58 PM
qtiger

Not to be anal, but IIRC the term 'engine brake' refers to a neat toy that was used on semis where the exhaust valves would open during the end of the compression stroke, slowing the engine significantly.

I think it's now illegal in most areas as it was ungodly loud.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by qtiger
Not to be anal, but IIRC the term 'engine brake' refers to a neat toy that was used on semis (...)
This is true, primarily a deisel thing. That's why I use the more accurate term "compression brake."

"Jake brakes" have since been redesigned to not be so loud or 'dirty' to comply with new laws in some areas, however these new engine brakes, quite frankly, suck.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:08 PM
pirate252

Originally Posted by Nathan1234
Revving an unloaded engine is more than a little different than increasing engine speed via torque applied to crank.
If you think doing that is so bad.... what's bad about it, then? Go ahead and break it down to stresses at a component level.
For some reason i have a weird theroey that it stresses the timing belt, especially if it were to have to much slack in it...but i guess ill have to agree with you
Old 08-02-2004, 06:14 AM
asianthug_ak47

the brake on my dad teg was changed around 200k. i think he paid like 100 bucks for parts and labor of all 4. it is a a stick, so he does downshift if he see a red light from a distance. otherwise, it is brake first and cluth second, then downshift from whatever gear to the next lower one and to 1 to move again.

our suv is a auto and we haven't changed the brake on it. it has about 120k miles. sometime i feel bad that i accelarate down hills with known traffic lights favoring the other way. by the way, honda abs saved my bacons a few times. i suggest no relying on it even though it WILL be there for u. it'll stop your car, but that dumbo behind you would give you a nice whiplash.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:10 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Since this thread reached it's logical conclusion aeons ago, there's really no point in chasing our tails any longer.

Preserved for posteritity.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!