Notices

Is engine braking bad for your car?

Old 07-31-2004, 11:35 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

engine braking is perfectly safe. i have to do it multiple times during my trips to school and back from school (mountainous region)
Old 07-31-2004, 11:48 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

A brake change can be done yourself for maybe $50 for the pads whereas a clutch job will most likely have to be done by a mechanic for $400+. Which would you rather pay? I just throw it into neutral and coast to a stop.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:05 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Brake pads are cheap and can be replaced in about an hour.

A clutch job on an Integra is a royal pain in the ass, and is many times more expensive.

Use your brakes in daily driving, and compression (aka "engine") braking on long descents when there's a legitimate risk of brake fade due to heat build-up.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
Use your brakes in daily driving, and compression (aka "engine") braking on long descents when there's a legitimate risk of brake fade due to heat build-up.
Exactly. It's not that using compression to slow your car damages your engine, it's when you do it WRONG you will wear things out. If you have any question about what is the RIGHT way to do it, as with anything else, don't do it.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Zebe

Last three posts say it ALL! I used to "engine brake" all the time until a wiseman helped me understand the expense ratio between brake pads and clutches. I still "engine brake", but much less frequently. I've got 80K on my teg and will probably get another 20K before my first brake job cometh. I hope my clutch doesn't bite me too soon.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:37 PM
ED9man
driver

I use both resonably, I dont use it excessively, I'll just downshift when it gets to the point where the engine is dipping below 1500 rpms. It helps slow the car a little bit and it is in gear if I want to get going all of the sudden again.

But when I'm not feeling lazy I heel-toe like you n00bs wish you could do hfawk:
Old 07-31-2004, 09:46 PM
Civic_GSR
Chop Shop Street Team

Originally Posted by kfar09
i always "engine brake" and dont have any problems with it. its easier on your brakes too
I'd rather replace my brakes than my clutch
Old 07-31-2004, 10:15 PM
pirate252

Fist off who cares about being easy on your brakes, and sacraficing your clutch, the clutch is a billion times harder to replace...

Also i think downshifting is bad for your engine because your engine is changing speeds to fast, its just as hard on it as revving your engine.

If your do it right i think its ok, but like if you do it wrong ie let the engine go to idle during the shift, and then release the clutch really fast ramming the engine to 4k in 1/3 of a second, i think THATS bad...it also has to put some stress on your timing belt to have the engine change speeds to quickly...

But just like upshifting, if done right, its fine
Old 08-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I compression brake all the time... but I know how to rev-match. Clutch in, throttle blip, clutch out. It's simple once you're used to it.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

Originally Posted by pirate252
Also i think downshifting is bad for your engine because your engine is changing speeds to fast, its just as hard on it as revving your engine.
If your do it right i think its ok, but like if you do it wrong ie let the engine go to idle during the shift, and then release the clutch really fast ramming the engine to 4k in 1/3 of a second, i think THATS bad...it also has to put some stress on your timing belt to have the engine change speeds to quickly...
Nope. It won't hurt your engine unless you over-rev.