Notices

parking brake

Old 08-08-2002, 06:01 AM
SpeedyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake

What's up with my parking brake?

I have a 99 GS-R and every morning, when I leave, the parking brake light on the dash stays lit even though I disengaged the parking brake. About 10 minutes into the drive, the light will turn off. This problem will not reoccur until the next morning.

What the hell is going on? The only thing I can figure is, in the morning the brake is cold and/or wet from dew.

What do you guys think and how can I fix this?
Old 08-08-2002, 06:11 AM
Madtekniques
cryoteknical

I know this doesn't really help you out but I had the same problem with my old Civic and one day it just stopped doing it, if I were you I would just give the stealership a call and see if they've had this problem before.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:20 AM
gsr2k

I dont know why it's doing that, but get it fixed. I'm pretty sure driving with the parking brake engaged (whether it really is or if the car just thinks it is) messes with the ABS and essentially turns it off.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:32 AM
slickboy
ECHC junkee

Default Re: parking brake

Originally posted by SpeedyR
What's up with my parking brake?

I have a 99 GS-R and every morning, when I leave, the parking brake light on the dash stays lit even though I disengaged the parking brake. About 10 minutes into the drive, the light will turn off. This problem will not reoccur until the next morning.

What the hell is going on? The only thing I can figure is, in the morning the brake is cold and/or wet from dew.

What do you guys think and how can I fix this?
It is very possbile that's it's just the tension on the e-brake cable. It might be at the handle itself, or back at the brakes. You could always try loosening the cable up just a hair at the handle and see if that fixes it.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:29 AM
WeaselGSR

I'm not sure of the details of the system, I'll take a look at the service manual when I get home

It could very easily be that e-brake light limit switch is sticking, and the vibration from driving eventually jars it loose
Old 08-08-2002, 07:52 AM
gsrstyle
Nitrous Junkie

mines does that too espically when its cold. I think it does mess with the abs system because could explain why my car slided when i slammed on the breaks at 60 causing $5000 dollars worth of damage
Old 08-08-2002, 07:58 AM
civic2k2grl

i also had the same problem with my civic except it flickered of and on i dunno if it was a loose connection but mine quit doing it after a couple weeks
Old 08-08-2002, 08:50 AM
reno96teg

just a thought, have you checked your brake fluid level?
Old 08-08-2002, 10:01 AM
drdavidge

take off the center console (where the ebrake is) and there should be a switch there for the ebrake. check it out and grease it up or something like that. if you leave your ebrake on and start driving for a minute, your ABS wil lautomatically disable itself and an ABS light will come on. just put down the ebrake and shut off the car and then turn it back on, simple as that.