Notices

Car shakes when braking

Old 04-19-2004, 12:39 PM
rivvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shakes when braking

Lately my cars been shaking really bad when I step on the brake. I can't even hang on to the steering wheel when I make an emergency stop. Sometimes when I'm braking and turning, it seems like I can't complete the turn. I've check the wheel and it's properly tighten and the brakes squeeks but it's really minimal. What could be the problem? Thanks for any help.

FYI, it's a 95 intergra, stock
Old 04-19-2004, 12:53 PM
cheezthis
sound/acoustical engineer

Most likely warped rotors. I doubt that it's a material transfer because of your pads.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:57 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Sounds to me like warped rotors as well. If the rotors haven't been "turned" before, it is possible that they could be milled true again. The best bet is to buy new OEM replacement rotors and install those.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

If you want to go budget, Autozone carries some nice rotors for our cars that perform quite well. And yeah, I agree with cheez and NorCal... most def warped rotors, and while you can get them turned back to being flat, if you haven't replaced the rotors yet, now might be a good time.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:26 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

It's possible that you've developed an uneven coating of pad material on the brakes which can be helped by re-bedding the pads. For whatever reason this seems to be a pretty common problem with Honda brakes. This is the procedure for bedding in brakes. Granted it's supposed to be done when the pads are new, but it's at least worth a shot seeing as it don't cost anything and doesn't require any actual work on the car.

It took me a while to actually believe in the "rotors don't actually warp" argument but after reading this article from Stoptech several times I'm beginning to be convinced myself.

Re-bedding the pads may or may not fix your problem but if it doesn't it's usually because there's enough unevenness to the pad material built up on the rotor such that a re-bed won't help. Then you will have to get the rotors turned or replace them, but it's not because they're "warped."
Old 04-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Tobra

If the wheel lugs are unevenly torqued, the rotor will tend to warp, the uneven material accumulation is possible. I have seen warped rotors, never physically seen the uneven pad build up...I am an avowed sceptic

I guess it is possible, maybe even likely, but I still think rotors warp

Last edited by Tobra; 04-19-2004 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Read the article, Mr Bootay
Old 04-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by Tobra
If the wheel lugs are unevenly torqued, the rotor will tend to warp, the uneven material accumulation is possible. I have seen warped rotors, never physically seen the uneven pad build up...I am an avowed sceptic

I guess it is possible, maybe even likely, but I still think rotors warp

You relized how hot you have to get the rotor actually warp right? If you improperly torque your lugs you might warp the hub part, but I doubt you could warp the rotor surface just by tighting your lug nuts in-correctly.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:11 PM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

yeah, Rotors, if you wanna go the cheap way, go to NAPA and get them turned for under $10 a piece.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:34 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by Solracer
You relized how hot you have to get the rotor actually warp right? If you improperly torque your lugs you might warp the hub part, but I doubt you could warp the rotor surface just by tighting your lug nuts in-correctly.
I'm just speculating here, but maybe by over-torquing the lugs the hub becomes messed up such that the rotor does not stay lined up with the caliper and under braking sort of moves side-to-side in between the pads, thus causing the vibration.

But anyway like I mentioned earlier, re-bedding the pads is at least worth a shot given that it doesn't cost anything or require any actual work to be done on the car.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
I'm just speculating here, but maybe by over-torquing the lugs the hub becomes messed up such that the rotor does not stay lined up with the caliper and under braking sort of moves side-to-side in between the pads, thus causing the vibration.
Thats kinda what I was thinking... I was just trying to say its not the rotor surface that is wapred but the hub itself, and I am sure that would cause vibration.

Quick Reply: Car shakes when braking