Notices

Body Difference in Vtec and Non?

Old 03-30-2004, 09:20 PM
RudhiraKaama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Difference in Vtec and Non?

I searched on this but wasn't able to find anything and I'm personally clueless. Is there anyway to tell if an Integra is a Vtec or non Vtec by looking at the body? I've seen a few where I live where the back bumper indents a bit and comes back out, parallel to the edge of the bumper, but is that just simply that its a different year? My LS just has a plain back bumper... just wondering because its been driving me up the wall. :a:
Old 03-30-2004, 09:23 PM
bnuk

pretty sure only exterior differences are the badging and wheels (the wing isn't on the LS but is on models besides vtec.) newer ones had a different muffler too.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:39 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Original VTEC models will either have a "GS-R" badge (92-93,) a "DOHC VTEC" badge (94-01) or a "Type R" badge ( 97?-01). Mind you this only works if the original badge is still there, and some idiot didn't put the badge on their RS/LS/GS/SE.

The wheels are not a very good way to tell, as many years used GS-R wheels on other trims.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:16 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You could look at the tach to see if it's got a redline at 8k. That's a little bit more difficult to swap than a bumper badge.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:41 AM
Racter

i would say the only way is the badging also, so i agree with kaji
Old 03-31-2004, 06:54 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

On the DC Integra platform, the tach redline will give it away, as will the presence of an automatic transmission. But in terms of body mods, there's nothing that can't be transferred to a non-VTEC DC with minimal effort. So you're SOL from that standpoint.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:20 AM
RudhiraKaama

Thanks guys, what was screwing me up is that there's 2 other integras around here and they've got a different bumper than mine, indented with a line parallel to the edge of the bumper, so i wasn't sure if slight differences like that were given to a vtec, or if that was just characteristic of say 98-01's. I'll go check out their tachs thou
On a side note, how will the presence of an automatic trans give it away? I'm almost positive they both are... as is mine unfortunately
Old 03-31-2004, 09:37 AM
DRAG 3 INTEGRA
Drag # Integra

yeah 98-01 have diff bumpers from 94-97
Old 03-31-2004, 09:59 AM
Daniel

Originally Posted by RudhiraKaama
Thanks guys, what was screwing me up is that there's 2 other integras around here and they've got a different bumper than mine, indented with a line parallel to the edge of the bumper, so i wasn't sure if slight differences like that were given to a vtec, or if that was just characteristic of say 98-01's. I'll go check out their tachs thou
On a side note, how will the presence of an automatic trans give it away? I'm almost positive they both are... as is mine unfortunately
I'm not sure on what David was talking about regarding an automatic transmission.

Most input has been correct so far, you cannot determine what type of engine an Integra has based on it's body modifications.

The 94-97 3rd Generation Integras all came with the same front and rear bumpers and sideskirts. OEM spoilers came with all GSR and SE models and were optional for any other. GSR's, SE's, and LS's came with sunroof's but RS's didn't. Neither did the 1997 Type-R.

The 98-01 3rd Generation Integras all featured the same front and rear bumpers (though slightly modified) and sideskirts. These also came with new lights. Again, none of this is indicative as to what type of engine came with the vehicle. Most colors were available for all trim except Type-R.

The only trim level that you could look at and tell exactly what engine came with it was the Type-R. No other car came with OEM lips, front and back. Wheels were 5-lug pattern and there was no sunroof. Also, the Type-R's were limited to three colors in the US, Phoenix Yellow, Championship White, and two variations of Black Pearl (Flamenco and then replaced by Nighthawk in 2001.) In it's original and unmodified form, the Type-R came equipped with a B18C5 DOHC VTEC engine. That is really the only trim level that can be distinguised.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:01 AM
RudhiraKaama

ok kewl, so they're just newer than mine, thanks a ton for all the info you guys rock