Notices

LS VS Type R Crank ?

Old 01-20-2004, 12:05 AM
#330ITR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I was wanting 2 know in a Type R block, if it was possible to swap a LS crank in place of Type R crank? Is there enough clearance in the R block for the LS swap. I've heard that LS/Vtec with Type R head makes more HP & TQ, but I'm trying to find an alternative solution upon not trying to trade bottom ends, but still be able to acheive the gains. If it's possible would it be worth the trade for more HP and TQ and still be able 2 use stock pistons or be better 2 also upgrade to some Toda, JE, or Skunk 2 pistons & rods? Help????

Reason I'm asking is because I used 2 have an LS/Vtec 00 Si, and have great success with the motor and then about a year later experience a whole lot of problems with the motor. My mechanic sd it's shit out cause of the LS block didn't have oil squirter's for the pistons..... Wanted 2 find out on what's best and not recommended to experiment with? For the time being the da R is my daily driver until this summer- when I pick up my beater. Thanks.....

Brian
#330 R - 01
Old 01-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Tony

You've got an ITR, which is a great platform to build on. Get a good i/h/e/ecu (if you don't have them already) and put in some cams and have everything tuned. You'll make more than enough power.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:33 AM
#330ITR

At the time I'm running with a good Intake, JDM Header, Hi-Flow, & N-1 Exhaust, tunned by the AEM EMS- currently I'm dyno'ed at 176HP & 126TQ- (pretunned). The car is very strong with the new EMS, I'm just trying to find other key ways to improve on performance.

Recommendation on cams? Which upgrade would be the best bang, next stage up from Type R cams and would I need to change out my valvetrain? At the time I have Low Vtec Set to engage at 5600 and redline at 9100- with the AEM EMS, pulls great power through 8200, but need a bit more TQ, as well. Still tunning the EMS at low RPM, but a lil TQ don't hurt 2 much too add either. What I was wanting 2 do was set my Vtec engagement back up more to 6200 since da redline is set at 9100, it'll probably pull HP all the way up 2 9K, instead of 8200. Needing some awesome cams to improve upon Low and Hi RPM with what I got set up. SOmeone let me know what's up?

Da Question still stands though, does anyone know if da LS Crank swap would work on an R block??? Thanks.....

Brian
#330R - 01
Old 01-21-2004, 05:43 AM
Tony

Toda As or Skunk 1s if you don't want to change out your valvesprings and retainers. As far as bigger cams, there's lots of good options out there, it just depends on where you want the power (midrange, top end, etc.).

To me, it's a lot easier and cheaper to swap out cams and valvetrain rather than pulling the motor to change cranks. To each his own.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Trey

Originally Posted by #330ITR
What I was wanting 2 do was set my Vtec engagement back up more to 6200 since da redline is set at 9100, it'll probably pull HP all the way up 2 9K, instead of 8200. Needing some awesome cams to improve upon Low and Hi RPM with what I got set up. SOmeone let me know what's up?

Brian
#330R - 01
I does NOT work that way. The VTEC crossover only affetcts power AT and around the point you set it to. It does NOT shift the power band. You should prbably have that crossover set around 4800 but 5100-5200 isn't too bad. 6200 and it will fall on it's face before VTEC. You also don't want to fell VTEC come on. Be careful going any higher than 9100 (That is pushing the limits).
Old 01-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Eva01

With stock cams, what's the point of having a 9100 redline? You're not making power up there. Just increasing wear and tear and setting yourself up for potential vavle train failure if your zinging your stock ITR valve train to 9100 rpms daily.

Why trade out your ITR crank for an LS crank? ITR is balanced for high rpms so it should be plenty for whatever you want to do. Also the stroke of the LS is longer so won't be a simple plug and play. The LS crank has slightly longer stoke so you may have clearance issues...also you'll have a crappier R/S ratio so you'll end up decreasing you maximum potential for rpms.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:46 PM
jiahanhao

the rod/stroke argument is invalid with proper building... but that is beyond the point. Cams are the easiest upgrade for the amount of power (N/A anyways), and swapping pistons is much much better than swapping the crank...
Old 01-21-2004, 08:56 PM
TypeR178

[quote:eedd0a6b8b]
jiahanhao Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:46 pm Post subject:
the rod/stroke argument is invalid with proper building...
[/quote:eedd0a6b8b]

IMHO paying attention to Rod/Stroke ratio IS proper building.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Trey

Originally Posted by Eva01
With stock cams, what's the point of having a 9100 redline? You're not making power up there. Just increasing wear and tear and setting yourself up for potential vavle train failure if your zinging your stock ITR valve train to 9100 rpms daily.
I've got stock cams and I have my redline at 9000. I make power on stock cams to 8150. The drop off is so gradual that at 8600 i am still making within 4 hp of peak. The longer i can hold that out the higher in the RPM band I will drop in and the more power i can making. A 500rpm difference around 6000 rpms is almost 10 hp. Makes more sense to hold it out. Not sure what the original poster does with his car but I auto-x and to avoid a shift if possible is always an advantage.

With a stock final drive and a 9000 rpm redline you woudl most likely be able to avoid shifting to 4th gear in the 1/4 mile where at an 8500 rpom fuel cut I found myself in 4th gear for a very small amounmt of time but enough to matter.

just reasons to rev that high. To justify these you need to be using your car for Drag Racing and Auto-X and have the top end tuning very well done to make a difference.