Notices

B16A

Old 08-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Jan Niemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to identify a JDM B16A. What sets it apart from a USDM B16A. My good homeboy just got his "JDM" motor, and we want to know if it's really JDM before we drop it into his G2 Integra.

Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by Jan Niemi
Does anyone know how to identify a JDM B16A. What sets it apart from a USDM B16A. My good homeboy just got his "JDM" motor, and we want to know if it's really JDM before we drop it into his G2 Integra.

Any ideas?
Like ITR/GSR motors the JDM block will only have "B16A" and not "B16A2" et cetera on the block stamp. There are also less vacuum ports because of the lack of some emissions pieces.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:07 AM
Trey

Good info dave.

The more important question is . . . what does it really matter. a B16A is still a B16. There might be a little more power rated in a JDM motor but first it is likely in PS not HP and 2 you can get that power back in modifications since the likely cause in a higher rating is restrictions the US had on the stock version of the car.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by Trey
Good info dave.

The more important question is . . . what does it really matter. a B16A is still a B16. There might be a little more power rated in a JDM motor but first it is likely in PS not HP and 2 you can get that power back in modifications since the likely cause in a higher rating is restrictions the US had on the stock version of the car.
2nd gen B16A's def. made more power then 1st gen ones. 10.2:1 comp on 1st gen JDM B16As and 10.6:1 on 2nd gen B16As, cams were the same IIRC. Intake manifold was different as well. But that's all comparing the two generations of JDM B16As. I'm not familiar enough with USDM B16Ax's to say exactly what's different but IIRC there is a difference in pistons in the later, hydraulic tranny cars. PR3 vs P30 but not 100% sure on that.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Trey

Dave,

as I understand it both B16A2 qand B16A3 both made 160 hp

The JDM is rated at something like 170 but is that ps or HP and is it due to exhgaust and emissions or true power difference?
Old 08-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by Trey
Dave,

as I understand it both B16A2 qand B16A3 both made 160 hp

The JDM is rated at something like 170 but is that ps or HP and is it due to exhgaust and emissions or true power difference?
2nd generation JDM B16A's were rated at 170ps or ~168hp.. at least some were if not all. There are a number of visual differences but since this swap involves a G2 Teg I'm guessing we're talking about a first gen swap since G2's are cable clutch cars so a 1st gen changeover makes more sense. 1st gens = 160ps.

My research on B16A's is limited to the work we've done here so I'm not a B16A expert :P
Old 08-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Jan Niemi

Our concern was the higher compression you get with the JDM. My boy plans on boosting the bitch, so I want him to be prepared to take it easier if it's the hi-comp motor. Thanks for the info. It's a cable shift trans on there.

The other thing is that he paid for a JDM motor, so we wanted to make sure he wasn't sold a USDM not only because of the compression, but also the low mileage and for principal's sake.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Dave-ROR

Jan: A cable shift B16A is the first gen motor and is 10.2:1 compression ratio. To ensure it's JDM just look at the engine code and that'll tell you. :thumbup: hope this info helps.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Jan Niemi

Where can I find a master reference list for the engine code on that?
Old 08-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by Jan Niemi
Where can I find a master reference list for the engine code on that?
Sorry Jan, but I'm not understanding exactly what you are asking for.. differences between 1st/2nd gen JDM B16As? differences between JDM and USDM B16A's?