Notices

VTEC Controller, are they worth it? What do you think?

Old 11-03-2002, 09:26 PM
ecekid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I've seen APEXi selling a VTEC controller device that enables the user to set the VTEC at different RPMs. Is it actually worth it for the price? Does it actually really do anything? Help me out here guys.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:53 PM
bbasso

Its worth it if you have other mods like I/E/H, reason being is that those mods change the engine set-up ever so slightly and the VAFC will tune it in IF you get on a dyno and have it done properly. Using your ass will not get all the setting "tuned" right and could hurt your motor.

Over all the VAFC is a worthy mod but if you plan on using the car for HPDEs or AutoXs then some classes might not let you use it.

If you do get it, keep it out of sight it has alot of bling factor and might get your car stolen faster.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:30 AM
Trey

Definitely worth it when used on a Dyno to tune.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Aj

There are no classes of ITR in SCCA that allow you to run a VAFC.

As far as worth it or not, if you have cam gears and a FPR, you can get like another solid 10-16 whp out of a stock R. So yeah, for the price what we've seen is about a good 6-8whp with nothing else, dollar per hp, not bad at all.

I'd would say that you really should go tune your car after you've pretty much done all you're going to do though, otherwise you may find your self tuning it more frequently then you like.

Later!
Old 11-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Trey

Originally Posted by Aj
There are no classes of ITR in SCCA that allow you to run a VAFC.

As far as worth it or not, if you have cam gears and a FPR, you can get like another solid 10-16 whp out of a stock R. So yeah, for the price what we've seen is about a good 6-8whp with nothing else, dollar per hp, not bad at all.

I'd would say that you really should go tune your car after you've pretty much done all you're going to do though, otherwise you may find your self tuning it more frequently then you like.

Later!
STX and Street Mod allow VAFC
Old 11-04-2002, 07:55 PM
itr

why dont they allow it
Old 11-04-2002, 09:00 PM
TypeRgirl#00073

NOT worth it !!! just my two cents
Old 11-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Aj

I should rephrase my last statement:
There are no classes in SCCA road racing that allow a VAFC for an ITR, unless you run I think P2 which is a catch all class. As far as Auto-X, they let a lot of stuff slide.

Originally Posted by TypeRgirl#00073
NOT worth it !!! just my two cents
Not to argue, but why do think that it's not worth it?????

Later,
Aj
Old 11-05-2002, 03:56 AM
Trey

Originally Posted by Aj

[quote:c3496044e7="TypeRgirl#00073"]NOT worth it !!! just my two cents
Not to argue, but why do think that it's not worth it?????

[/quote:c3496044e7]

I wanna know t00.

I have seen a Civic si make 10 whp after tuning with a VAFC. This was after an AEM, JDM 4-1 and Greddy Evo.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:47 AM
TypeRgirl#00073

its just me.. yall do what you want. Integra computers have been finly tuned and perfectly made. Acura and Honda spent YEARS doing this, so use owners would appreciate them! ... When putting on a vtec controler the computer gets messed up. If you dont mind having flashing light ALL the time , go on ahead. The VAFC will throw a check engine light if the fuel settings are above +15%. I personally dont see any use in them, but hay ....what do I know???? PEACE <><