Notices

VTEC Controller, are they worth it? What do you think?

Old 11-05-2002, 08:05 AM
Trey

That seems a little lacking in logic. Acura tunes the ECu for safe conditions all the tmre and build in morre than needed safty of fuel supply. Excessive fuel can rob power. Leaning it out will not throw a code and over 15% seems like there might have been other problems.

My car gains 16 whp at VTEC crossover just by lowering the VTEC to 5400. Seems like a VAFC would be worth it just for the smoothing of the curve and midrange even if you didn't make 10 whp up top. Seems like removing the dips and picking up 2-3 whp is a good investment. MUCH MUCH better than the 2-3 whp you get as peak from an AEM.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:36 AM
Aj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, agreed, I would suggest doing your home work before arguing about a subject of which you obviously know very little about.

Sorry if I come across as being an ass, but I think you really need to go hit the books on VAFCs.

Later!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:45 AM
alex b

i have ALWAYS seen the v-afc as a good deal, as long as it's tuned properly. controlling the vtec switchover point and fuel curves is a big deal, and an excellent way to make more power. honestly, i could care less if i get a check engine light, because the best way to cure that is some black electrical tape.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:57 AM
bbqman

I was following the thread on the controller and for the most part seems acurate and logical.

I know that it needs to be tuned on the dyno to make any sense.

Which brings me to my point, what do you, Aj and Trey, think about the Mugen programed ECU , in a situation where I don't have dyno time or access (right now), the car is virtually stock (so gains are hard to come by) and I do lotsa Stock class Trials and auto-X (I switch ECUs to stock).

So far my findings are that I can be 1.25 - 1.75 secs a lap faster ( all things equal) on a 60 sec course. I attribute this speed to the fact that I have access to my V-tec earlier and my cut-off is stratospheric ( if at all).
This in turn allows me to lap with less shifts and I am in the meat of my power longer.

If this makes sense to you, then why don't people buy preprogramed ECU's suiting their needs, thus avoiding the hassle of dyno tuning. I know it is a lazy way out, but when the car is virtually stock and you need to Real stock for competition, I have a hard time finding the down side.

Comments?
Old 11-05-2002, 12:21 PM
Trey

If you are dead set on a preprogrammed ECU I would look inot the Kenji programmed P28 ECU. Much cheaper than a Mugen setup I am sure and he can provide the OBDI wiring harness too since he makes them for Mugen.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:55 PM
bbqman

Actually, I have one now, that I am testing. Cost me 500$CAN , with harness for OBD I conversion.

What do you think about the idea of the ECU instead of the controller, in my situation? i believe that I only have advantages.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:09 PM
Aj

Well idealy reprogrammed ECUs are the way to go, the problem is, getting a program that is for your exact application, and was tunned specifically for your car can be very expensive, assumung you can even find someone willing and knowledgable, with the software and hardware to do it.

As far as generic programs, with a stock car, they'll probably work fine, but when it comes to more heavily moded cars, there have just been too many variables changed, specific to that application, and the generic computers, no longer take into account the specific mos that have been made. In more simple terms, you can't stick a square peg in a round hole.

Hey Trey, is Kenji still working over in Tampa?????? If so, do you have a number for the shop he's at. I lost touch a long time ago when my friend Jesse stopped working with him. Thanks!!

Later!
Aj
Old 11-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Trey

not sure where he lives now. South FL is all I know

kenji211@tampabay.rr.com

Here is his email. Tell him Trey sent you He probably doesn't even knwo who I am LOL.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:39 AM
bbqman

Thanks for the feed back.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Cosworth

bbqman - Kenji's P28 ECU is worth every $! The difference between stock P73 and Kenji P28 is night-n-day!

I will be dynoing my car in this month and will have the results for you guys.