Notices

Tire Question Need Help ASAP!!!

Old 10-29-2002, 06:08 AM
TypeRPaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gettin a new set of tires this week and i need to know what size to go with, i know the sice is 15 but those other numbers i have no clue, could some one please help. Oh btw the tires are the Falken Azenis...getting all four brand new for 270... please give me some insite on what to do...thank you
Old 10-29-2002, 08:19 AM
AcAttack

i think the most common size to upgrade to is a 205/50/15. Thats what my 98 ITR had. Good luck
Old 10-29-2002, 09:39 AM
Trey

I used 205/50/15 as well. Azenis and Dunlop Sp9000's
Old 10-29-2002, 10:03 AM
TypeRPaul

good tires? and do they need to be heated up for a good launch?
Old 10-29-2002, 02:58 PM
Aj

Well I happen to sweat by the SP9000, but if your looking to be cost conscious, you're thinking about the wrong tire, they go for about 150 a tire. The falken Azenis happens to be just fine for what you sound like your going to be using it for (drag racing), the SP9000 is a great intermediate road race tire, but you will go through them very quickly if you're heating them up to get them hot for a 4K rpm launch.

You may want to look into the Nitto NT555R or the BF Goodridge Drag T/A, both of which hook very well off the line, but handle much better then most street leagal slicks.

Hey Trey,
by the way, if you like the SP9000, Michelin just came out with the Pilot Sport Cup in our size, and though they are ridiculously expensive($225), you can order them shaved, normal, or heat cycled, straight from Michelin to save some time scrubbing them in on the street.

Later!

Aj
Old 10-29-2002, 06:33 PM
Trey

Originally Posted by Aj
Well I happen to sweat by the SP9000, but if your looking to be cost conscious, you're thinking about the wrong tire, they go for about 150 a tire. The falken Azenis happens to be just fine for what you sound like your going to be using it for (drag racing), the SP9000 is a great intermediate road race tire, but you will go through them very quickly if you're heating them up to get them hot for a 4K rpm launch.

You may want to look into the Nitto NT555R or the BF Goodridge Drag T/A, both of which hook very well off the line, but handle much better then most street leagal slicks.

Hey Trey,
by the way, if you like the SP9000, Michelin just came out with the Pilot Sport Cup in our size, and though they are ridiculously expensive($225), you can order them shaved, normal, or heat cycled, straight from Michelin to save some time scrubbing them in on the street.

Later!

Aj
WOuld love to see a set of those tires. I am not all that impressed with the SP9k's. THe Azenis blow them away although hydroplane resistance isn't the best. I like the RE730's better than the SP9k's due to the unbelievably stiffer sidewall. I would think the S03's would be that much better. THe SP(k's and SP8k's are good but fall short compared to other tires. I like to drive up and race so taking the SP9k off for the Azenis is a pain.

AJ, on a budget check into the Yoko ES100 that just came out. We have to guys running them for street/auto-x and are having good results.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:54 PM
Aj

I like the ES300, but if I'm gonna buoy Yokohamas it's gonna be the A032R or nothing, especially since they really don't make a hell of a lot else that I like in my size.

So3 pole positions are great tires, but they are expensive, and they dont make them in my size any way. I am actually very limited, given that I am still running on my stock rims.......

Aj
Old 10-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Trey

what do you mean don't make them in your size. Stock rims are the perfect wheel to put 205/50/15 on and S03's, ES100's both come in that size. THe ES100 is also super cheap.

Not to mention there is NO WAY I would run A032R's on the street. I look for a tire with awesome grip, decent wear and good daily chracteristics. Azenis come close to all of those. The Two above have better daily characteristics but give up a little grip.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:12 AM
Aj

They must have started making S03 in a 205-50-15 recently or at least in the past year, because when I went to look for tires like a year ago, they weren't offered. My car was down for almost 6 months of that year, so I really wasn't keeping tabs.

Everybody is entitle to their opinion, this is mine...........

As far as running A032R on the street, they're tires that you don't expect a lot of life out of any way, but they really aren't all that expensive, not compared to the Dunlops you mentioned any way. Besides, I'm lucky enough to have two cars, so only about half my mileage goes on my R, the other half goes on my truck. So the 6K miles I'd get out of them normally lasts me almost a year, and thats fine with me.

As far as daily drivability, once heatcycled properly, a good R compound tire will run just as well on the street as any Z rated tire, if not far better. It won't last for squat, but it'll out handle most anything else just in the area of grip and outstandingly rigid sidewalls, the only exception I leave to that is standing water. Once you cool them down sufficeintly they're worse then bald street tires, so I do mean for aggresive "dry" street driving. Which is how I would classify my driving, if it's pouring, I won't even drive my car.

In any case, we ran the S03 on one of our customer's M3 GTR, becuase he thought they would make better time trial tires for what ever reason, and got much better results with the Toyo RA1, which for our class is spec any way, but on test day, I thought the S03 really left something to be desired, especially for the bucks you end up shelling out for those(for street tires lots of $$$$$) even though less then the RA1 we run.

I do agree with you in the respect that the Azenis is a good daily driver, and for 68 a peice, I think they'll be my next, we have three cars that run them for rain tires, and say for what they would consider street tires, they hook relatively well.

When I said I was limited, they do make a lot of tires in my size, but don't make some of the ones I've really grown to like, that I'm used to running on larger rims. for example the yokohama AVS sport and the Nexus, they don't make the P-zero Rosso, just the Asimetrico, they don't make the advan A042 for my size, they don't make the Pilot sport a/s or pilot primacy, and a couple others I really like. To make it worse when I go to the track, I need to use 7" rims just to fit a set of crappy hoosiers on my car, which by the way I have totaly given up on, I'm sticking with Toyo RA1 slick and Kumho V700(wet) for the track. half the price, and in my eyes, better performance. The Hoosiers seem to like to slide a little, then grip. Doesn't fit my driving style at all, a little sliding is good, too much will land you into the wall.

Later guys...

Aj
Old 10-31-2002, 06:02 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

Toyo Tires has some good street tires. They grip well (semi-racing), but have a hard rubber that one would look for in daily driven tires. If you just want performance, I've heard Falken's work well, although I can't back this up with anything, other than word of mouth.