View Single Post
Old 10-31-2002, 12:12 AM
Aj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They must have started making S03 in a 205-50-15 recently or at least in the past year, because when I went to look for tires like a year ago, they weren't offered. My car was down for almost 6 months of that year, so I really wasn't keeping tabs.

Everybody is entitle to their opinion, this is mine...........

As far as running A032R on the street, they're tires that you don't expect a lot of life out of any way, but they really aren't all that expensive, not compared to the Dunlops you mentioned any way. Besides, I'm lucky enough to have two cars, so only about half my mileage goes on my R, the other half goes on my truck. So the 6K miles I'd get out of them normally lasts me almost a year, and thats fine with me.

As far as daily drivability, once heatcycled properly, a good R compound tire will run just as well on the street as any Z rated tire, if not far better. It won't last for squat, but it'll out handle most anything else just in the area of grip and outstandingly rigid sidewalls, the only exception I leave to that is standing water. Once you cool them down sufficeintly they're worse then bald street tires, so I do mean for aggresive "dry" street driving. Which is how I would classify my driving, if it's pouring, I won't even drive my car.

In any case, we ran the S03 on one of our customer's M3 GTR, becuase he thought they would make better time trial tires for what ever reason, and got much better results with the Toyo RA1, which for our class is spec any way, but on test day, I thought the S03 really left something to be desired, especially for the bucks you end up shelling out for those(for street tires lots of $$$$$) even though less then the RA1 we run.

I do agree with you in the respect that the Azenis is a good daily driver, and for 68 a peice, I think they'll be my next, we have three cars that run them for rain tires, and say for what they would consider street tires, they hook relatively well.

When I said I was limited, they do make a lot of tires in my size, but don't make some of the ones I've really grown to like, that I'm used to running on larger rims. for example the yokohama AVS sport and the Nexus, they don't make the P-zero Rosso, just the Asimetrico, they don't make the advan A042 for my size, they don't make the Pilot sport a/s or pilot primacy, and a couple others I really like. To make it worse when I go to the track, I need to use 7" rims just to fit a set of crappy hoosiers on my car, which by the way I have totaly given up on, I'm sticking with Toyo RA1 slick and Kumho V700(wet) for the track. half the price, and in my eyes, better performance. The Hoosiers seem to like to slide a little, then grip. Doesn't fit my driving style at all, a little sliding is good, too much will land you into the wall.

Later guys...

Aj