Notices

gas octane for GSR

Old 02-29-2004, 08:49 PM
v-teg01
Candy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just used 100 octane tonight it was better. usually i feel the top end being much smoother, which is what happened. But i did hear its not that good to use that kind of octane all the time in your GSR. but i had 30 bucks to spend for a full tank ! i was drunk so i really wasnt driving but my girlfriend had a fun time with the 100 octane! haha dont worry shes a good driver!
Old 02-29-2004, 08:52 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by v-teg01
i just used 100 octane tonight it was better. usually i feel the top end being much smoother, which is what happened. But i did hear its not that good to use that kind of octane all the time in your GSR. but i had 30 bucks to spend for a full tank ! i was drunk so i really wasnt driving but my girlfriend had a fun time with the 100 octane! haha dont worry shes a good driver!
No, it was all in your mind. To repeat myself:
Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Octane is the level of resistance to detonation that a fuel has. Detonation is when the action of the piston compressing the air/fuel mixture inside the cylinder ignites it before the spark plug fires. The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane you need. You do not gain anything from running a higher octane fuel than necessary to prevent detonation. That's just a clever marketing gimmick the oil companies have been propagating for a while now. Either your car will detonate or it will not. Running anything higher than the required octane will simply cost you more money.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:53 PM
KenDawg13

Yea, my GS-R I use 91, because that is the highest it goes in Colorado. But there is a gas station right outside of a speedway here that sells 100. I put it in when ever I am that way. My car runs a lot better with it. I also put 91 in my LS. The one time I decided to put 87 in it ran like crap and it took a few tanks to get it back up.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:55 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by KenDawg13
Yea, my GS-R I use 91, because that is the highest it goes in Colorado. But there is a gas station right outside of a speedway here that sells 100. I put it in when ever I am that way. My car runs a lot better with it. I also put 91 in my LS. The one time I decided to put 87 in it ran like crap and it took a few tanks to get it back up.
You're at a higher altitude which plays all screwy with engines. Needless to say, at or close to sea level, everything I've been saying is what goes.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:02 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

What kind of motor oil you use has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what octane fuel you need. Fuel and oil don't mix with each other so there's no way for one to affect the other.

Octane is the level of resistance to detonation that a fuel has. Detonation is when the action of the piston compressing the air/fuel mixture inside the cylinder ignites it before the spark plug fires. The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane you need. You do not gain anything from running a higher octane fuel than necessary to prevent detonation. That's just a clever marketing gimmick the oil companies have been propagating for a while now. Either your car will detonate or it will not. Running anything higher than the required octane will simply cost you more money.

Most cars that say they require premium gasoline actually mean 91 octane, since that's all that's available in California.

The car is tuned to run on 91 octane since that's what is available.

Oh, and RON is not the system of octane ratings that's used in this country so it's not really appropriate to quote it for gasoline sold in the USA. Gasoline pumps post octane numbers as an average of two different values, quoted as (R+M)/2. The R stands for research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. M stands for motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94. In other countries they only quote the RON figure which is why in Japan for example they have "98 octane" gas but in reality it's no more resistant to knock than the stuff as we get over here.
This thread should be archived because of this information. Good stuff Mike!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:14 AM
chahsiubow

What kind of motor oil you use has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what octane fuel you need. Fuel and oil don't mix with each other so there's no way for one to affect the other.
I meant in respect to driving/running performance.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:10 PM
fastrnuGSR

fatbooty, ur a F"""ing genius. seriously, ive never met anyone that just knew so much about integras. props man.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

Originally Posted by fastrnuGSR
fatbooty, ur a F"""ing genius. seriously, ive never met anyone that just knew so much about integras. props man.
Word*
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

Booty - good point.

I discussed this topic in detail with my dad, who still thinks putting in premium gas in our Accord V6 gives it more power. Octane is nothing but resistance to detonation.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:00 PM
KenDawg13

www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

Quick Reply: gas octane for GSR