Notices

gas octane for GSR

Old 02-29-2004, 12:10 PM
fastrnuGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas octane for GSR

what octane gas do you guys put in your GSRs? i was told to use 93 so thats what ive been doing.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:18 PM
IntegraGSR

I use 93...the higher the octane the cooler ur engine runs too...
Old 02-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Daniel

I use the only octane that Honda recommends for my GSR with stock compression, and that is 93.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:55 PM
chahsiubow

does it really matter? From what my friend tells me (which i follow), as long as ur using a good grade syn motor oil and treat ur car/engine in good condition, it doesn't really matter what u use. :dunno: I use 87 in my LS. But then again, I'm also cheap.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:01 PM
b00gers

you kinda run into a problem in cali, being 91 is the highest one most gas stations can offer.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:19 PM
rgbpmp

It does matter for a gsr, Manual states to use premium fuel only.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:05 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

For a GSR, run the highest octane you can get your hands on.
93 RON is recommended, but 91 RON will suffice...albeit with somewhat reduced perfomance.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Sam92teg

...as for the LS model, I have a 92 RS, and I beleive our non-vtec engines call for 87 octane according to Honda. Not gospel, just what I heard.

Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
For a GSR, run the highest octane you can get your hands on.
93 RON is recommended, but 91 RON will suffice...albeit with somewhat reduced perfomance.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:08 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

i saw 91+ for gs-r in my owners manual... i run 89 or 91 in my LS just cuz 87 seems to chincy and i dont wanna spend the extra $.10 per gallon for 93
Old 02-29-2004, 08:33 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by chahsiubow
does it really matter? From what my friend tells me (which i follow), as long as ur using a good grade syn motor oil and treat ur car/engine in good condition, it doesn't really matter what u use. :dunno: I use 87 in my LS. But then again, I'm also cheap.
What kind of motor oil you use has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what octane fuel you need. Fuel and oil don't mix with each other so there's no way for one to affect the other.
Originally Posted by ISP James
i saw 91+ for gs-r in my owners manual... i run 89 or 91 in my LS just cuz 87 seems to chincy and i dont wanna spend the extra $.10 per gallon for 93
Octane is the level of resistance to detonation that a fuel has. Detonation is when the action of the piston compressing the air/fuel mixture inside the cylinder ignites it before the spark plug fires. The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane you need. You do not gain anything from running a higher octane fuel than necessary to prevent detonation. That's just a clever marketing gimmick the oil companies have been propagating for a while now. Either your car will detonate or it will not. Running anything higher than the required octane will simply cost you more money.
Originally Posted by WiLL
you kinda run into a problem in cali, being 91 is the highest one most gas stations can offer.
Most cars that say they require premium gasoline actually mean 91 octane, since that's all that's available in California.
Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
The car is tuned to run on 91 octane since that's what is available.

Oh, and RON is not the system of octane ratings that's used in this country so it's not really appropriate to quote it for gasoline sold in the USA. Gasoline pumps post octane numbers as an average of two different values, quoted as (R+M)/2. The R stands for research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. M stands for motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94. In other countries they only quote the RON figure which is why in Japan for example they have "98 octane" gas but in reality it's no more resistant to knock than the stuff as we get over here.

Quick Reply: gas octane for GSR