Notices

After Market Newbie

Old 07-31-2002, 05:42 AM
mackenz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Newbie

I have a 1990 Integra RS. I am interested in making some modifications to the engine and suspension. What kind of modifications are available to that engine? Does anyone make superchargers or turbo add-on's for the 4 cyl.? Like I said, I am a complete newbie to this stuff... maybe one of you guys could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
Old 07-31-2002, 06:02 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

yes there are a ton of parts for that engine. do a search this has been covered many times before.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:27 AM
slickboy
ECHC junkee

Check out www.g2ic.com

Great site for a g2 teg(90-93) owner. I joined when I had my 91 about a year ago, and found some invaluable info on there. There are quite a few of us on here who have g2's or did..I wish I still had mine :wtc:
Unfortunately if you want to go the FI(forced induction) route, you will be very limited as to your options. Currently no one makes a supercharger for g2's and I honestly doubt that any manufacturers will anytime soon. If you want to go the route of a turbo, it will most likely have to be a custom t3/t4 type setup. Like I said, there are some people on g2ic that has turbo setups...I've been around here for a while and I havn't seen/heard of any on here with a turbo'd g2. It can be done though..so fear not. There's also the n2o(nitrous oxide) route. There are several kits available for the g2, and it is the cheapest was to get a good amount of power, and can be done safely by people who know what they are doing. Unfortunately, you would have been better off with a 92-93 teg, but it's all good. In 92 the went to an OBD-1(which aren't as plagued by problems as I know my 91 was) system and added 10hp over the 90-91's.
The best thing that you could probably look into doing, if you want good power across the entire powerband, would be to get a strong bottom end built with forged pistons and rods(i.e.-Endyn, JE, etc), bump up the compression, headwork(springs, retainers, etc.), get some more aggressive cams, and work on the fuel and ignition system. It won't be cheap, but again it can be done, probably cheaper than a turbo setup too. There are also other routes such as a hybrid setup, many people I know are dropping b16a(1st generation 1.6L dohc vtec engine) motors, or b20b/z(older CRV motors) into them. I'm sure you'll also hear about LS/VTEC and CR/VTEC hybrid setups as well.

The first thing you need to do before you start seriously modding your car, or even thinking about it, it to have a compression test and a leakdown test to find out the condition of the internals of your motor(piston rings and valve seals, etc.) Most likely with a motor with that kind of age on it won't last long under a turbo setup. I have seen older motors run fine under boost, but I've also heard about them falling apart in no time. Find out what shape the motor is in, decide which route you want to go, DO YOUR HOMEWORK..find out all you can before you think about doing anything..you'll thank yourself later, find a reputable local shop or people with experience when it comes to modifying imports(g2's would be great!), and then have fun! Be prepared to become a poor person if you really get into it..haha..it is addictive. Most importantly..have fun! :thumbup:

Hope this helps give you some ideas to get you started. let us know how we can help you! might i suggest using the search button..it is your friend...many of these topics have been covered in depth before...a mountain of knowledge awaits you.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:32 AM
mackenz

Thanks a million slickboy!!!!!!
Great responce.... I tried a quick search, but I was dissapointed at the results. (I may not have used good keywords) I'm about to check out that website you suggested. I was on ebay, and there are a few tegs there that have tons of aftermarket upgrades already done for short money. I may start with one of those and work my way up. It seems that the VTEC engine is a more popular and fast engine, so I may go 93+

Again, thanks a ton for your info!!!