Notices

Help with shifter/transmission...

Old 01-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Acura95Lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with shifter/transmission...

I have a 95 integra, that has a short shift kit on it. I recently took it in because the clutch kept slipping -- as if I would floor in a higher gear than needed and the car would just rev and not go anywhere. Well i I took it in and they found 2 of the springs were broken in the clutch assembly which was a performance clutch. They installed a new non-high performance clutch. Well since they have done that theres no slippage however, 2nd and 4th gear dont stick. with 4th gear you can hold it in and its fine.. it seems that it doesnt engage fully into 2nd and 4th. it engages into 1st 3rd and 5th fine. it almost seems that the transmission is set barely to far back?? is this possible? does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions??? what about if i put the nastyy stock shifter back in??
Old 01-29-2004, 07:05 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

the shifter has nothing to do with it. its the transmission. looks like the syncros are dying. can you downshift into 2nd and 4th fine?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Acura95Lady

no i cant.. I mean it will move down to 2nd and 4th but it will not go into it or else if it does its barely going in and pops out..then it grinds...

Originally Posted by LT6916
the shifter has nothing to do with it. its the transmission. looks like the syncros are dying. can you downshift into 2nd and 4th fine?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Acura95Lady

But I mean this was all fine before I got the clutch replaced then 2-3 days later with the car in the shop and with a new non performance clutch its now acting this.. So I am curious just how could it be the transmission if it didnt do it before? the previous clutch was a performance and was going out of 6 springs in the clutch it had 4 ( 2 broke ) ?? Ahh I am soo confused

Originally Posted by Acura95Lady
no i cant.. I mean it will move down to 2nd and 4th but it will not go into it or else if it does its barely going in and pops out..then it grinds...
Old 01-30-2004, 06:52 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

a clutch doesn't pick what gears will engage fine and not engage fine. it has to be some weak syncros allowing the gear to pop out. have you tried tapping the gas to spin up the syncros while shifting into 2nd or 4th? If you try that and it shifts properly...its definitely going to be your syncros.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Acura95Lady

If it is the syncros, is this fixable and if so what would be the approx. cost of doing so. By the way I have tried the reving up and then shifting. It will go inot 2nd better but it will eventually pop out again.

Originally Posted by LT6916
a clutch doesn't pick what gears will engage fine and not engage fine. it has to be some weak syncros allowing the gear to pop out. have you tried tapping the gas to spin up the syncros while shifting into 2nd or 4th? If you try that and it shifts properly...its definitely going to be your syncros.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:21 AM
axhammer
Canadian Icelander

Originally Posted by Acura95Lady
If it is the syncros, is this fixable and if so what would be the approx. cost of doing so. By the way I have tried the reving up and then shifting. It will go inot 2nd better but it will eventually pop out again.
You can fix the syncros by having your transmission taken apart and rebuilt. As for the cost, i am not sure about your area but here I seen it here go pretty high in cost. Maybe someone else should comment on the cost.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:23 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

yea transmission rebuilds are costly. you can get a used transmission for less than the price of a rebuild.