Notices

Radio code - original doesn't work

Old 11-22-2003, 02:30 PM
nikkim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio code - original doesn't work

I have an Acura Integra LS which I bought new back in 1997. I finally had to replace the battery and now of course the radio is asking for the code. I dug out my Radio ID card, entered the code in, and it doesn't work. I tried 2 more times, it locked up as its supposed to. After replacing the battery the radio reset itself and I tried again. Still code doesn't work. It seems they gave me the wrong ID card.

Went to the dealer (not the one I bought it from since that is in Minnesota and I now live in California), they looked up the Serial # from the card on their computer, and the code that matched was the same one on my card. Yep, I must have the wrong ID card. Now they want to charge me $90 to take out the radio just to make sure the serial number on the card is the right one. Is this really my only choice? The dealer in Minnesota claims they don't have my records, 1997 was too long ago.

Seems like a scam, I have never had to use this code before but was responsible enough to keep the card that I received from the dealer originally - but the card doesn't work. Is there any other place I can get this code from, or any easier way to get that radio out to get the serial number? If I pay $90, they take it out, and the serial # is what is on my card, what do I gain from that? They will need to somehow reset the code, if they can even do that.

Thanks,
Nikki
Old 11-22-2003, 05:50 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

If what they need to see is the serial # on the radio, then by all means, I'd recommend you remove the radio yourself, rather than pay for them to do it. It isn't chalenging to do at all.

It basically consists of removing the ashtray/cupholder assembly, armrest and center console. This gives you access to the bolt that hold the radio and the small plastic cubbyhole in place within the dashboard.

All that's required is a medium size Phillips screwdriver, a reasonable amount of care and about 15 to 20 minutes.

My 2.3˘

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 11-22-2003, 07:24 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Sometimes dealers refuse to give you the code if the radio is out of the car. You could snap a couple pics of the process of taking out the radio and of the serial number to prove that you took it out of your own car as a precaution I guess.

Or you could look at this as your opportunity to get a spiffy aftermarket deck.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:47 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Since the dealership already knows you and that the code does not work taking the radio to them should not be a problem. You also do not need to remove the ashtray and center console to get the radio out. You can reach a screw driver up behind the radio to remove the two bolts. It is a PITA to get your body into the position it needs to be in to get them out but it works.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Shore 96 Teg
I miss my 93 VTEC Lude :(

Originally posted by DVPGSR
Since the dealership already knows you and that the code does not work taking the radio to them should not be a problem. You also do not need to remove the ashtray and center console to get the radio out. You can reach a screw driver up behind the radio to remove the two bolts. It is a PITA to get your body into the position it needs to be in to get them out but it works.
its so much easier to come from the front of the radio to get to those two bolts....you can also use an 8mm socket wrench (recommended by me) to get them off. Dont skip steps...take apart the dash or you can risk stripping the bolts and then ur fawked. i would say go to Circuit City and you can get a JVC CD deck for 152.99 installed. The cd player is a peice of shit though...spend like 40 or 50 more on a pioneer/alpine or kenwood unit :thumbup: I know the prices cause i work there. Oh and get the warantee too. Well worth the 30 bucks if ur radio decides to die on you :thumbup:
Old 11-22-2003, 11:28 PM
nikkim

Just a quick note, my car has 105,000 miles on it so I have no interest in spending $200 on a new radio. Especially since I have never had to change the brakes yet, so that is going to be coming up rather soon. Not to mention the accident I just got in which is part of the reason why the battery died in the first place. Now that my car is back to new again, I just want to get this radio working (which is fine for me right now in this car) without paying extra money which shouldn't even need to be paid in the first place, seeing as how they made the mistake of giving me the wrong ID card anyway.

Thanks for all the advice,
Nikki
Old 11-23-2003, 01:25 PM
XSrcing

if you get the serial number off the radio, i will get the code for you. i have access to Honda Interactive Network.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:10 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally posted by Shore 96 Teg
its so much easier to come from the front of the radio to get to those two bolts....you can also use an 8mm socket wrench (recommended by me) to get them off. Dont skip steps...take apart the dash or you can risk stripping the bolts and then ur fawked. i would say go to Circuit City and you can get a JVC CD deck for 152.99 installed. The cd player is a peice of shit though...spend like 40 or 50 more on a pioneer/alpine or kenwood unit :thumbup: I know the prices cause i work there. Oh and get the warantee too. Well worth the 30 bucks if ur radio decides to die on you :thumbup:
It is just as easy to reach back there and undo those bolts with a screwdriver if you do not mind laying in your footwells. I have done this countless times and it takes me longer to get the center console, shift cover, and ashtray assembly out just to get to those bolts than it does to reach behind and unsrew them. And I have never stripped those bolts.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:36 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I'm not sure how the 3rd gen dash support is shaped, but on the 2nd gen it's in the way of a socket wrench. Well, not completely because that's how I took my stock deck out but there's only room to torque the wrench by a couple of degrees.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:28 PM
NIXONride
surfer

Originally posted by MrFatbooty
You could snap a couple pics of the process
dude your hilarious lol you always are talking about taking photographs of everything lol for documentation! haah i love it