pomansouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have to shift to 4th at eighty but i have a rs
Old 10-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Xymox007
Björkian

Originally posted by drumsy

I usually reserve my 5-3 shifts for speeds of around 55-65mph. Anything above that and I either wouldn't attempt anything (why are you street racing anyways) or shift to 4th.
No kidding? I didn't know that. I'll stop doing that (seriously). I was street racing myself. Highway masturbation.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Cheap Labour

That's dangerous, you know what they say about masturbation making you blind
D:
Old 10-15-2003, 08:52 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Cheap Labour, you have a great signature picture - is that your car? I knew someone once with an early 70s 911S with almost that same exact look.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Daniel

Originally posted by Xymox007
No kidding? I didn't know that. I'll stop doing that (seriously). I was street racing myself. Highway masturbation.
One thing you're taught in road racing is that as an average, each time you shift, you lose 1 second lap time. Think about it, the faster you're going in 5th, the higher the RPM. The higher the RPM in 5th, the higher the RPM in 3rd. If you're going around 80, you're probably only going to have around 1000 RPM of power before you have to shift at redline. So, within the period of 3 or so seconds, you can potentially lose 2 seconds worth of WOT acceleration to shifting that you didn't need to do. Instead, I would recommend shifting at the 55-65mph range. While you may potentially lose a second that that shift, you have that much longer to wind out the engine again before shifting to 4th, and that may be all the time you need to get you far enough ahead to not lose whatever it is you're doing.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Cheap Labour

Originally posted by DelSolSIinMD
Cheap Labour, you have a great signature picture - is that your car? I knew someone once with an early 70s 911S with almost that same exact look.
Oh man, I wish. What's pictured is a 1972 911 Carrera 2.7 RS. The RS is pretty much what the Type R is to the Integra. Faster, better handling, et al. If someone can say they're the proud owner of an RS, they have a solid investment, and if they ever have the heart to let it go they're going to get some serious cash for that car.

A few years back I saw a 911 2.7 in a parking lot and I was checking it out when the owner came by and asked just what I thought I was doing. I think he was under the impression I was trying to steal his stereo or something, but after I wowed him with my knowledge of Porsches, he offered if I'd like to give her a spin. Chance of a lifetime, but I had to get to work. FedEx takes a dim view of even 1-minute tardiness.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:20 PM
axhammer
Canadian Icelander

Not enough low end to floor it in 5 and start moving, overdrive gears reduce the amount of torque u have. 2 seconds, more like .5 second. Going from 3rd to 4th is a straight drop. Why do you think autos downshift to the lowest possible gear. At highway speeds you got a lot of drag to overcome.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:26 PM
axhammer
Canadian Icelander

Originally posted by Cheap Labour

A few years back I saw a 911 2.7 in a parking lot and I was checking it out when the owner came by and asked just what I thought I was doing. I think he was under the impression I was trying to steal his stereo or something, but after I wowed him with my knowledge of Porsches, he offered if I'd like to give her a spin.
If I could just see 2.7RS I would be happy, a really rare car. It has a engine that makes 210 or something hp in the 70's where engine output was at best 1hp/C.I.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Cheap Labour

Well there's one of those in the Porsche museum in Stuttgart. However, that's not quite the same, is it?

I'd also be thrilled to see a 959.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally posted by Cheap Labour
Well there's one of those in the Porsche museum in Stuttgart. However, that's not quite the same, is it?

I'd also be thrilled to see a 959.
Someone posted an article in the Basement that some people were able to finally bring a 959 to the states and make it *legally* drivable on the road...

Bill Gates, I think, will have one