Notices

Insurance Questions (Theft)

Old 03-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Buddah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Questions (Theft)

I have full coverage on my civic, and last night someone broke into it and got away with my head unit and my subs and amp. The police officer said that most insurance companys won't pay for anything unless you had claimed it and added it to your policy, but I know tons of people who have had things replaced after a theft. What is/are your experiences with these kinds of situations? My insurance agency is State Farm, if that helps anyone out.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

My stereo/seats/nitrous kit got stolen a few summers ago and they didn't replace the nitrous kit but they replaced the leather seats/stereo.

Basically if it's in a "factory mounted" position i.e. a cd player in the dash and everything is bolted/screwed down they will reimburse you. So before you adjustor comes drill holes to show that you bolted down all your crap and they will pay you back even though it's not factory. I got quite a bit back from my insurance company but remember if you have too many vandilism/theft claims they can drop you.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:14 PM
mr.hyde

Originally Posted by Buddah
I have full coverage on my civic, and last night someone broke into it and got away with my head unit and my subs and amp. The police officer said that most insurance companys won't pay for anything unless you had claimed it and added it to your policy, but I know tons of people who have had things replaced after a theft. What is/are your experiences with these kinds of situations? My insurance agency is State Farm, if that helps anyone out.
To determine if the insurance company would provide coverage or not, imagain shaking your car upside down...whatever that falls out would not be covered under your auto policy. So yes, drill some holes and make it look like you bolted the stuff down. But if they still refuse to cover it, try claiming it under your home insurance or tenant's policy. Your home policy will cover stuff like CD's, golf clubs, cash, and other goodies that you happen to have in your car at the time of the theft but home insurance usually comes with a higher deductible like $500 bucks vs the usually $100 or $250 deductible for your comprehensive coverage on your vehicles. In any case, all the luck to you...
Old 03-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally Posted by mr.hyde
To determine if the insurance company would provide coverage or not, imagain shaking your car upside down...whatever that falls out would not be covered under your auto policy. So yes, drill some holes and make it look like you bolted the stuff down. But if they still refuse to cover it, try claiming it under your home insurance or tenant's policy. Your home policy will cover stuff like CD's, golf clubs, cash, and other goodies that you happen to have in your car at the time of the theft but home insurance usually comes with a higher deductible like $500 bucks vs the usually $100 or $250 deductible for your comprehensive coverage on your vehicles. In any case, all the luck to you...
Exactly what i said but better put. Turn upside and shake, like a bag of tasty shake n bake chicken
Old 03-27-2004, 03:51 PM
illicon2003

Originally Posted by mr.hyde
So yes, drill some holes and make it look like you bolted the stuff down..
that's fraud, and that's the reason why I pay more for my insurance every year. Thanks jack ass.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally Posted by illicon2003
that's fraud, and that's the reason why I pay more for my insurance every year. Thanks jack ass.
That's BS, it wouldn't have matter if he actually bolted it down at all. If thieves look in your car and they see what they like (usually at night) they're not gonna shine a flashlight in there to see if it's bolted down and if it is decide not to jack your sh*t

you pay more for insurance every year because A you're a male, B you probably drag race, C you have mods to your car. And if you have mods to your car i highly doubt you tell insurance and pay more...now THAT's fraud
Old 03-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Buddah

Yeah honestly, If the crooks at the insurance company who have taken my 150 bucks a month (was 180 for a long time in Highschool) and have never had to pay out anything on me except for possibly 500 dollars once, ( I have been insured for 7 years now) Decide that they can say "Hey, you didn't have that bolted down" you deserve jack all, by the way, your payment is due, here's your bill, thanks for your patronage", you can be damn sure im going to do whatever I can do to get my money back.

Thanks for your input so far. Hopefully my State Farm works of the stakeholder model and helps me out since I have been giving them my money for quite some time. I guess I will have to wait and see though.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally Posted by Buddah
Yeah honestly, If the crooks at the insurance company who have taken my 150 bucks a month (was 180 for a long time in Highschool) and have never had to pay out anything on me except for possibly 500 dollars once, ( I have been insured for 7 years now) Decide that they can say "Hey, you didn't have that bolted down" you deserve jack all, by the way, your payment is due, here's your bill, thanks for your patronage", you can be damn sure im going to do whatever I can do to get my money back.

Thanks for your input so far. Hopefully my State Farm works of the stakeholder model and helps me out since I have been giving them my money for quite some time. I guess I will have to wait and see though.
I used to have state farm before i changed to allstate and they were the ones that paid out on my theft. They're pretty cool about it, just make sure you have pics (if you took them of your stuff) and print out all the online MSRP's of the stuff you had. I just had a bunch of receipts and a few pics of my setup and they cut me a check for full MSRP of all my parts no questions asked. Be prepared and know your crap, most adjustors aren't very good with aftermarket so if you have receipts/printouts they'll take your word for it.