Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

engine corrosion question...

Old 06-28-2003, 04:58 PM
xX94aCcOrDXx
leet member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine corrosion question...

my car has been driven 150k miles near the coast of california, and the salt water in the air has caused a lot of wear and tear on parts of my engine. there are many rusts, and damage to parts of my engine. is their any kind of paint that might cover it up? and also is there anything i can use to protect it from further damage.

heres a pic

thanks
Old 06-29-2003, 12:31 PM
AwwsChwA

The valve cover is aluminum, it won't rust. What you're seeing is just some paint bubbling. You can repaint a valve cover vary easily, and you can also opt to have it powder coated, so it's virtually rust, ding, scratch, and oil proof.

As for the exhaust heat shield, that's just a thin sheet of stamped steel painted black. I don't even have mine on my car. If you really want to save it, you can do one of two things. Take it off, sand it and paint it, or just find another one in a junk yard, and paint that one instead. It's up to you, but I'd just remove it. Do you really need that little reminder not to grab onto a hot exhaust manifold?
Old 06-29-2003, 03:34 PM
crxb16er

ive actually never seen that little warning, first time ive seen a car with that on there, mine is just blank
Old 06-30-2003, 12:37 AM
xX94aCcOrDXx
leet member

thx for the advice guys
Old 07-04-2003, 05:06 PM
MikeR

i'm with you, yank it off, but if painting it'll be tough, heat resistant paint would need to be used and or you could jet coat it. similar to powdercoating but will with stand heat. way to costly in time,money, and hastle though for a heat shield if you ask me