Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

d16z6 Questions

Old 05-26-2003, 07:44 PM
Scia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16z6 Questions

I have just bought a 92 Civic with a D16z6 motor for a pretty cheap price. The motor is running fine, yet the previous owner told me the wire harnass burned and it was redone with "gsr wiring." Also a cluster from a Integra was installed. I have no idea why they would have done this. The check engine light is illuminated, and the rev limiter is topping out at 5.5k. He told me to fix this, I would need a GSR ecu. Anyone hear of anything like this, I sure havent. Overall the motor runs fine, thermostat, speedo, fuel, signals are all fine on the cluster. But why would I need a GSR computer?

All feedback appreciated!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:49 AM
Motohip

That makes no sense what-so-ever. The guy is bullsh!tting you. There's no such thing as "GSR" wiring. And you can't use a GSR computer on anything but the GSR motor. You could run it on another B series motor, but it's not advisable. Defenitely wouldn't work on a D series.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:40 AM
Scia

I pretty much thought he was bullshitting. I still bought the car. What I dont understand is the cluster / wiring / rev limiter. Why would the car top out at 5.5k. And why would you put a Integra cluster. If it is "rigged", would it be easy to buy a wiring harnass from ebay for the stock d16z w/ ecu and install? Car is running fine except for the rev limit and damned check engine light.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

you can run a b series ecu on a d all day long. But why the **** is he telling you the wiring would make a difference? That's where he's full of shit. Find out if the wiring through the firewall and to the fuse box and ecu are from the gsr too.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:28 AM
jung4g
Asianalize your car

Originally posted by Bakeoff
you can run a b series ecu on a d all day long.
Yup

Go get a free scan at a pepboys or somewhere, and find out why the check engine is on. He may not have hooked everything up right. Also make sure the engine harness he put on is OBD1.

Good luck...

Jung
Old 05-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Scia

Right now, I can care less about the check engine light. My main concern is why it is rev limiting at 5.5k?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:02 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Scia
Right now, I can care less about the check engine light. My main concern is why it is rev limiting at 5.5k?
If it's throwing codes(causing the CEL to illuminate), the ECM will go into "limp" mode to prevent engine damage, and will dump extra fuel to keep it running rich and limit revs to 5-5.5k. Obviously, VTEC is also disabled in limp mode.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:00 AM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

sounds like it's in "cold" rev limit, but with a CEL I would say Inspyral is right on the money. I would grab a DVM, unplug the ECM and check for continuity/shorts in the engine harness between all the sensors and the ECM. OBD1 or OBD2???