Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Gas Mileage and Ignition timing relationship... Simple question...

Old 06-04-2003, 03:28 PM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Tr0LL
ok..... it's been a few gas fill ups since i posted and i can confirm that lowering my timing does wonders for my gas mileage.... could there be something wrong with my ignition system perhaps?

the thing is..... using a timing light, at 16 degrees at 750rpm, i get 19-24 mpg..... basically crappy gas mileage.....

when lowering the timing to about 14 degrees, it instantly jumps back up to 29-30 mpg and the car feels a lot faster... this is of course with NO other changes....

i tested this for 2 months now..... i would run it at 14 degrees.... 29-30 mpg..... go back to 16 degrees and my gas mileage drops significantly to 19-24mpg....... then just last week i decided to lower it to 14 degrees again and bam... 29 mpg from today's fill up.... my driving varies, but even if i drive like a grandma, i could never hit more than 25mpg with 16 degrees timing.....

??? - i am confused....

oh and i'm using 87 octane btw..... and i have the lower compression b20 which is designed for 87 octane (which is 8.8 or 9.2 compression depending on which b20 theory you believe in)... maybe later i'll test it again at 16 degrees and try 91 octane and see if gas octane is the reason here.....
Thanks for getting back to us with your test results! I find your results very interesting and different to some of the experimenting I did on d series engines. It could be that the ECM reading the O2 with advanced timing is tricking it into running richer, since timing advance theoretically makes an engine run leaner, which causes the ECM to richen the air/fuel mix so you get lower MPG. The mileage on my Z6 usually gets worse when I retard timing, so I think it might be a difference in ECMs.

Anyways, I don't think there's a problem with your ignition system if you are getting that kind of mileage.

Thanks for the results! :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2003, 11:10 AM
proper~teaze

how can i tell if my distributor is too advance, advance, retard and too retard...this will really help me out because on my 94 civic ex i only get about 25 mpg...and everytime i pump gas its always like 10.6 or 10.8 gals to fill up...
Old 06-05-2003, 11:35 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You gotta get a timing light (& learn how to use it) to see your spark timing.

If you always drive in the city with lots of traffic, 25 isn't that shabby.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:48 PM
DanyeruDono

I have a 97 D16y8 with 120k miles on it
only engine mods are AEM CAI and i run 89 octane gas with Castrol GTX 5W-30 syntec blend
i have noticed a signifigant loss in gas mileage since i put the AEM CAI on. no matter how i drive (even though i am at WOT all the time) i get around 25-28 mpg at best
before i put the CAI on i was getting 32-37 mpg depeding on how i drove. i put alot of highway miles on the car. i recently put a can of retore in with my oil change, and heard a NOticable amount of vaccuum increase( through the Bypass of the CAI, i can actually here it sucking air in at idle now, while standing over open engine bay, neverheard it before i put the restore in) but i still havent noticed an increase in gas mileage. i know it takes a few tanks before the Restore really starts working. but i am curious as to why my gas milage is so low? i know with the AEM CAI it is a lil more responsive, and i drive a lil harder cause i LOVE hearing VTEC kik in at WOT. but even when i drive like a grandma on highway i still dont get an increase in milage. the Best i can get on a tank of gas is 300 miles. i used to be able to get 400 (still leaveing one gallon of gas in)

what should i do? should i run HIgher OCtane Gas? ie go to 93 or Sunoco's 94? IF i do that will i not be able to go back to 89 octane with out getting pinging? (old myth) i recently had my TIming bElt replaced, and i am guessing that honda reset the timing back to stock 16 degrees i think.
should i advance my timing? like by 2 degrees? will that help with gas mileage as well as make the engine more responsive?
should i advance timing AND run better gas? will that increase the gas mileage, repsonsiveness, and make the car run quicker?

Thanks in Adnvanced
Dan