Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

intermittent low idle - mystery!

Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 AM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent low idle - mystery!

Has anyone ever had this problem before? - Every once in a while my D16Z6 will idle very low (300-400 rpm) hot weather seems to make it more frequent, also drawing a lot of juice from the alternator (lights on, AC running) I never get a check light to come on, neither does it have any codes in the ECU. I had a well running donor car and swapped out the IAC and Thermovalve as well as a bunch of other sensors. Replaced O2 and coolant sensor with new ones from Honda. Cleaned all the ground connections around the engine bay. Always keep it well tuned (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing, etc.) and clean the TB regularly. Had the charging system checked by a dealer. The car will sometimes bog off the line and be a bit hard to start but otherwise would run fine. I recently sent out my old injectors to be cleaned and checked. Bled the cooling system. Ran compression test (190 pounds exactly on all 4 holes) Also had the dealer run some top end engine cleaner through it, no difference. I worked as a mechanic for a while on drivability problems, so you can imagine that I tried anything logical so far. The dealer out here is giving me a hard time because of some mods I did to the car, that shouldn't at all affect anything like this.

ANYONE HAVE AN EDUCATED GUESS???
Old 04-16-2003, 12:24 PM
crxb16er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well obviously u can crank ur idle screw up a little bit to avoid a shut down until u figure it out. i had the same problem recently but when i had my injectors cleaned and changed my spark plugs the problems went away, check ur vacume lines coming to the intake manifold, its a possibility one of them has blown off, but more likely if its drawing alot of power ur battery may not have enough amps to crank out the power necessary may need to get a higher rated one, but sounds like u've already tried most of the things that i would start with, in rare occasions it can be a fuel problem with rust in ur gas tank, something wrong with a fuel line, possibly check ur fuel filter, check ur spark plugs for any indication of engine problems, ie overheating plugs, bridged gaps etc. but good luck buddy, you sound pretty educated on what needs to be done, hope u find ur problem