Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Question on boring and heads.

Old 04-11-2003, 10:43 PM
seth90dx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on boring and heads.

I was just wondering if it is nessessary to have your head bored out to match your block when you use oversized pistons... Thats it
Old 04-12-2003, 07:44 PM
AwwsChwA

you can't have a head "bored out", it's a flat surface with a hollow dome where the valves and combustion chamber are. If you mean having the head milled, then no you do not have to have the cylinder head milled when you have the cylinders bored out. However, it's always a good idea to have the cylinder head surfaced and cleaned, and possibly have the valve seats ground while the head is off.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:56 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have the head deshrouded to match the cylinder bore, but it's not absoluetly necessary. Most people leave their heads alone when they run an 84mm bore, but you should always check your clearances to see if they're still in spec with the 84mm pistons.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:59 PM
AwwsChwA

Originally posted by inspyral
You can have the head deshrouded to match the cylinder bore, but it's not absoluetly necessary. Most people leave their heads alone when they run an 84mm bore, but you should always check your clearances to see if they're still in spec with the 84mm pistons.
very good point, I forgot to mention that. Yea, of course make sure that the pistons, if they're not of stock crown shape, will fit without interference.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:15 PM
seth90dx

I know my asshole from my cock I was talking about the "Bowls" in the head, I was just curriouse if most people left it alone or if they had a bit shaved off the edge of the "Bowl" to make the combustion chamber match the cylinder walls... Thanks