Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

ENDYN info

Old 03-08-2003, 06:08 AM
PSPEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are gem sleeves Golden Eagle Manufacturing?
Old 03-08-2003, 09:36 AM
seth90dx

Originally posted by PSPEC
are gem sleeves Golden Eagle Manufacturing?
Yes GEM is golden eagle...

And the dart blocks dont seem to be having any heat issues. A shop near me has a B20 dart block FULLY built and they drive it all the frigin time... Its the shop car so they use it to pick up parts.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:53 AM
PSPEC

Originally posted by seth90dx
I have to say that the person who is *****ing is someone who sent larry his block to get it sleeved. Larry DOES NOT sleeve the blocks at his shop. There is alot of reasons why but I wont get into that. He sends them to Golden Eagle and has them resleeve because they haver the proper equipment.

So the folks who are talkin **** at larry should be talkin **** to GEM
If what you wrote above is true, then I have to disagree. If I called up ENDYN and said I wanted to use their 90mm pistons for example (which require sleeves) And Larry, or whoever told me the block would be sleeved with GEM sleeves. And I then sent my motor to ENDYN which in turn sent the block to Golden Eagle for sleeving, ENDYN is fully responsible for anything that goes wrong with the sleeves. Unless it was previously stated that they won't take responsibility for the sleeves. I beleive that if you are subbing out work, because you don't have the equipment (or for whatever reason), you should take responsibility for your subs mistakes and then take it up with the sub later.

Also, I am pretty sure that DART doesn't make H series blocks.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:00 PM
seth90dx

No... Dart doesent make H series blocks. They make 2 diif bore size B20's and 2 diff bore size B18's. But, they are made from virgin aluminum which is a higher grade then honda uses. Pluss you get the comfort of knowing that the block is BRAND NEW, not remanufactuered.

I will agree with you about the whole sleeving thing, except for the fact that larry did fix thiese individuals blocks for free. Pluss since they were assembled by the individuals themselvs how is he soposed to know if it was done properly... For instance, if the clearances are not correct and the crank is at an angle then it will add aditional pull on the cyl walls/sleeves. So if YOU were making high performance parts, would you warranty a part thats probably being put together by an idiot? I know I sure as **** wouldnt!
Old 03-08-2003, 01:01 PM
PSPEC

In the story I read about, ENDYN did the machining and assembly. I don't know what was wrong with the motor except for the fact that the guy claimed it had less power than stock when he got it back. He claimed that he spent $10,000 in the end, and was charged for things he didn't even want. I don't know if it was a sleeve issue or not.

Although I have assembled a couple of ZC's to stock specs before, and I am familiar with plastiguage etc. I don't want to assemble a motor that has had clearances modified by someone else

For example, in order to use the 90mm roller waves you have to machine away matierial from the combustion chamber. I would also like to use oversized valves, so the size of the valve releifs on the pistons has to accomodate the valve. I just don't feel comfortable assembling a motor that has had these kind of modifications done to it by someone else. And I don't have a lot of the tools that machinists use to check clearances and such.

I would like to have confidence when sending away a perfectly fine stock motor and a grip of money to a shop thats half way across the US. Its not like I can just drive over there and check on my motor, I'm in Florida.

I thought about assembling the motor my self. Its just not worth taking the chance for me. I would rather pay the extra cash, let them double check everything before assembly, and just drop it in and be done with it.

I was pretty much set on doing what I stated above, then I started reading the horror stories. So I started thinking. What if I don't get what I pay for? What if its all hype? What if the modifications arn't performed? What if they are done wrong? What if I'm charged for services that I didn't ask for? Like a $600 oil pan. You get the point.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:18 PM
seth90dx

You wussie! Your taking all the fun out of motor building! "Just drop it in and be done with it" What kind of a greaser are you? Do you even do your own oil change?
Old 03-08-2003, 09:24 PM
PSPEC

are you serious?
Old 03-08-2003, 09:50 PM
seth90dx

Well, yes and no. Why would you not learn to do ****? Go get urself a cheap ass motor and build it!
I am curently building the piss out of a JDM DOHC ZC. The only thing Im not doing is the bore/hone surfacing and notching of the block. I am assemling the rest myself. If you dont have proper tools go and buy them. I have about 10 ITR's worth of tools. Why? So I can save myself the $500,000 that I would have spent on taking my cars to shops to have it ****ed up. A auto shop will NEVER do as nice a job as you will... After all, its YOUR shiot!
Old 03-09-2003, 09:38 AM
PSPEC

I've built 2 DOHC ZC's using OEM parts. The only operations I didn't perform were boring and honing. Its not that I don't want to learn to do ****. For the most part I already know how to do ****. And for whatever I don't know, I have books.

So lets say I'm going to assemble the motor myself, I get the machined parts back and I start checking clearances. What if the piston to valve clearance is to close. What do I do then? Pay to have the cylinder head shipped back to Texas?

Assembling a motor that has all the numbers already figured out is easy. I enjoy puttting motors together actually. But when material starts getting machined away, and clearances start changing, and the shop thats doing the work is half way across the US, then I think its just smarter to have them do the assembly. That way they have all the parts there and they can check and recheck everything during assembly. And that way you can be sure that you won't be paying a couple hundred bucks to send something back that wasn't done right.

I don't know what you are or are not capable of doing. But have you ever clayed a motor? Have you ever CC'd the combustion chambers to make sure that all the cylinders are the same? Its no big deal to send your parts away and then TRUST that everything was done right and just bolt it all up. But since your having critical numbers modified, you should have everything checked with the proper equipment and experience before you put together a motor with those kinds of modifications done to it.

The main point of this thread was to ask. Is ENDYN capable of doing these things to my motor, on time, without screwing up or ripping me off in some way?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:43 AM
PSPEC

One more thing, as you stated above. If you do the assembly yourself, you are pretty much taking all responsibility for anything that might go wrong. If something is screwed up, the shop can say, "well you must have put it together wrong"