Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

"bouncy" wheel spinning

Old 01-26-2003, 01:02 AM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "bouncy" wheel spinning

i have a very slow car, almost stock...a 97 civic ex coupe...and when i get to the end of 1st gear, or even burn out launching the car it seems to bounce sometimes. im just wondering what causes that. is it a function of the clutch/ axle/ tire? does anyone else have this problem? and finally, how can i fix this prob? thanks people.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:09 AM
-KangaRod-
Captain

its not a problem. what you're describing sounds like wheel hop.
I'm not sure what causes it (equal length half shafts I think) but its perfectly normal.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:16 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

be careful, I've heard wheel hop can snap axles...
Old 01-26-2003, 12:25 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soft rubber suspension bushings, as well as soft OEM engine mounts will contribute to wheel hop. If you want to lessen wheel hop, get some urethane suspension bushings and engine mounts(inserts also help a lot, if you don't want to get entirely new mounts). Radius arms will also help with wheel hop, although the geometry of the Z10 setups isn't exactly ideal.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:05 PM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

thanks...this guy at work always makes fun of me for that. i can pull perfectly even with his camero in a race until 90mph or so when i pull ahead a bit. he still says he doesn't want a honda cause it cant do a complete burnout. ha
Old 01-26-2003, 11:48 PM
RedRexDX
Stupid Hurts

what we did with my 92 motor mounts was pull them one at a time, clean them, and fill the holes and cracks with silicon... let it dry and then fill the whole rubber piece with silicon. after, i painted the silicon/rubber mount black and clearcoated it... installed it and almost all my wheelhop went away. it still does it every now and then, but atleast not all the time... note on this picture they have not all been done yet.

Old 01-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Slow-N-Low
What's that smell?

Bad shocks and/or can also contribute to wheel hop. If the springs were cut to lower the ride, they end up being too soft. Stiffer springs, shocks and tires (lower profile) can all help.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:03 AM
RedRexDX
Stupid Hurts

Originally posted by Slow-N-Low
Bad shocks and/or can also contribute to wheel hop. If the springs were cut to lower the ride, they end up being too soft. Stiffer springs, shocks and tires (lower profile) can all help.
that is totally true as well. fortunately, I am riding on stock suspension
Old 01-27-2003, 10:32 PM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

i dont think that's the prob...im riding on tokico gas socks and eiback ground controls w/ a 2" drop and a skunk camber kit.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:54 AM
Slow-N-Low
What's that smell?

Originally posted by yellow civic ex
i dont think that's the prob...im riding on tokico gas socks and eiback ground controls w/ a 2" drop and a skunk camber kit.
Sweet setup! That all sounds good, but you could still have a blown shock. Look for oil leaking out. You can replace rubber isolators with stiffer materials, but that affects NVH in a bad way. And because the driven wheels are also used to steer, there's not much more you can do to control FWD wheel hop. That's why I'd hope to find a blown shock, and fixing it solves the problem.

Another thought--a 2" drop might be contributing to the windup. The wheel climbs up, hitting the bump stop, which drives it back down... A little more suspension travel might help.