Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

turbo install questions

Old 01-21-2003, 07:10 PM
vha27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo install questions

ok so im planning my route, to smoothly install a turbo without ne suprises, on my 2000 ex myself, but of course i have questions

so im looking at the apexi kit w/ the fmic, the cheapest i got qouted for this kit is $2800, is that a good price, know where i can get a better deal? also hows the apexi's twin chamber bov?

ok now ive been reading all over the web boards, and ive come up with this conclusion, please tell me if im correct

i plan on getting the walbro 255 lr/hr fuel pump, vafc, and the dsm 450cc injectors /w resistor box and wiring according to this article, www.thedropshop.tv/vafc.htm, is that all i need to do to do the complete install, do i still need to get myself to a dyno?

more questions:
1)where can i find these injectors cheap
2) any advantage to getting the rc engineering injectors over these
3)do i need the msd btw along with this setup
4) is a boost controller neccessary at this point
5)how does this method of engine management compare to the optional apexi fuel upgrade and the Honda/Acura Power FC

if i missed ne thing please ask me about it

thanks,

chris
Old 01-23-2003, 10:07 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can run the hack with the -40% settings just fine, but it should ideally be tuned on a dyno.

1) try junkyards, eBay, or dsmtrader.com
2) RC makes saturated 440s that cost about $300, and if your car is 96+, u need their adapter clips. I would rather pay ~$50 for DSMs and maybe another $25 or so to have them cleaned and flowtested if need be.
3) You can run a BTM if you want to be able to retard your ignition timing in relation to boost. It's a good tool and will offer some more safety.
4) If you want to be able to increase your boost pressure. Even if you don't want to turn up the boost, a boost controller will usually allow you to rech full boost sooner, since it keeps the wastegate closed until it needs to open. If you run off just the wastegate spring, the gate usually starts opening and bleeding off boost early, which has an effect on your spool.
5) The AFC hack is supposed to be a relatively low-cost method of running 450cc injectors and still being able to tune them somewhat. It's better than running an FMU, but a standalone unit would be ideal. As for the Power FC, you may want to look into Hondata S100 or S200, since they're a bit cheaper.