Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Obd-i -> Obd-ii

Old 01-18-2003, 08:20 AM
TheRooster
Former Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd-i -> Obd-ii

Sorry for the duplicates, I thought I had posted this here:

I've been looking for an engine to replace mine. The few places I've found that will sell just the engine tend to only have pre-1995 long blocks. Will all of my OBD-II sensors bolt right up to a pre-95 engine, or is any modification necessary? Its a B18C1.
Thanks in advance.

Going with an OBD-I setup is impractical, by the way, as I've got the AEM ecu for the 98's.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:57 AM
vermsta

Even if they do you won't pass smog. The smog law states that you aren't aloud to go back on engine years. In other words if you have a 97 you can only use an engine from a 97 or newer vehicle.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:50 AM
drift
Flaccid Member

Originally posted by vermsta
Even if they do you won't pass smog. The smog law states that you aren't aloud to go back on engine years. In other words if you have a 97 you can only use an engine from a 97 or newer vehicle.

he's in Texas. laws are different.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:53 AM
drift
Flaccid Member

you'll have to compare the sensor locations. i'm not sure if the B series motors moved the ckp and tdc sensors to the front of the motor from the dizzy. if it did, use your old dizzy, then swap the sensors to the front of the new motor... but you'll need to swap over the timing and balancer gears from the crank as they have magnetic pickups. you'll also have to swap over the oil pump housing as the sensors are bolted to that, and it's doubtful the older motor would have those mounting locations.

i did this on my H23A VTEC setup... went from an OBD I block and converted it for use in an OBD II vehicle.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:12 AM
vermsta

I hate california
Old 01-18-2003, 06:26 PM
qtiger

Unfortunately, despite the AEM EMS's versatility, the 30-1020 (96-99 Integras) does require both the crank and cam sensors. I'll double check my Helms later tonight to make sure I don't have sensors confused, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to replace the oil pump on the older engine to accept the crank sensor.

Here is the electrical pinout of the 30-1020.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:33 PM
TheRooster
Former Senior Member

Originally posted by qtiger
Unfortunately, despite the AEM EMS's versatility, the 30-1020 (96-99 Integras) does require both the crank and cam sensors. I'll double check my Helms later tonight to make sure I don't have sensors confused, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to replace the oil pump on the older engine to accept the crank sensor.

Here is the electrical pinout of the 30-1020.
Is it just a matter of taking the oil pump housing from my engine and swapping it over with the crank sensor? I mean, moving accessories or bolt-on parts isn't a big deal, so long as they'll all bolt up to the OBD-I block. Thats my biggest concern. I don't want to drill and tap out bosses if I don't have to. Replacing a housing or something though is no biggy. Because I'd use my aftermarket intake manifold and it's already set up, its just the head and block sensors I was worried about.