Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Ls Vtec Swap Info

Old 11-13-2002, 10:00 PM
KingPin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls Vtec Swap Info

I'm looking at getting an lsvtec swap setup for my 97 civic hatch. Do you guys think it's worth it? This is the info on the motor:

0 miles. 94 or 95 block, new type r pistons, new bearings, new rings, type r oil pump, b16a head, valve cover to oil pan

What kind of tranny would I need and how much do you think this is worth? And is it worth it? Also what kind of tranny do I need for the motor to go along with the car that will work with both...
Old 11-14-2002, 11:42 AM
lsvtevman420

Default ls vtec

i say you do it you faster than hell tranny wise the b16a will do but if u really want to pick up speed and switch gears smoothly i would go with a gsr tranny it has a closer gear ratio than a type-r if you dont belive me and think im pulling your C0*k just read up on it a gsr tranny with lsd is far better than the type-r tarnny.but wait on a tarnny first balance your rods or else the frankenstien theory will come true and you will be one one the hundreds of ls/vtec blown. wait on a tranny and balance your rods first.=)
Old 11-14-2002, 11:44 AM
lsvtevman420

Default blah blah

I love LS VTEC, but I can't spell it properly.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:10 AM
taylormadem5

Sounds good, other than i would get JE pistons or Arias Pistons instead of ITR/CTR pistons, and get CTR cams and upgraded springs and retainers. As far as a tranny goes, a GSR w/LSD would be great or an ITR will always work well. Get your crank balanced as well as whatever kind of rods your gonna get. IMO i would get forged pistons and rods. your already having it rebuilt for the most part so why not do it right. The little $$ your spending now for better parts is worth having done, than to do it again when it blows up.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:23 AM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

I thought the GSR and Type-R used the same basic trannys.
Old 11-17-2002, 03:44 AM
SiBirdie

I thought GSR tranny and b16 and type R tranny are pertty much all the same. Any of these tranny will do the job and, You should balance your complete buttom end.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:23 PM
-KangaRod-
Captain

The crank is pretty solidly balanced from the factory, I wouldn't worry too much about balancing that, but with new pistons, rings, and hopefully shot peened and arp rod bolted rods, you'll prolly want to balance those. Its not hard, you can do it yourself. Bascially just make sure they weight the same (plus or minus 1/10th of a gram) by weighing the rod-piston assembly on an accurate scale and grinding the weight of a die grinder so they all weigh the same amount as the lightest one. I wouldn't worry to much about forged stuff, it can get expensive, and that engine is already prolly a pretty penny. For a tranny, a GsR or B16 hydro would be your best best (hopefully w/LSD) as they'll be at least 3 or 4 hundred dollars cheaper that a type r. Overall though, a type r is best, but maybe not that much better. Is it worth it or not? How much are you spending? If you are considering buying a LsVtec build, I've got one for sale, that is just slightly more solid than this (type r cams, arp bolts, girdle etc etc) that I'm trying to sell for cheap. e-mail me at kanga_rod@hotmail.com if you are intrested.