Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Putting 1st b16a swap into 3rd gen Teg...

Old 11-05-2002, 10:16 PM
qtiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dubster99
:werd:

And how many other times have you seen a b16 with bolt ons and CTR cams make 190 whp? Try more like 160 or so for the most part.
Depends on the quality of I/H/E used (though it looks like a mega-ghetto engine buildup) and well, there aren't many times people are dumb enough to mill a head .040 just for the sake of compression ratio.

I didn't argue that point because it is very much possible with a set of Skunk2 stage 1 cams for nearly the same price.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:38 PM
sir_crx

-there aren't many times people are dumb enough to mill a head .040 just for the sake of compression ratio. -
what do you have against milling the head for added compression? A B16A is a fairly high comp fact engine, that if you don't want a rebuild, a cheaper alternative rebuilding a perfectly good engine, is to mill the head...I know that the top drag racers mill for more power why is it stupid for me or you to do it to attain more power...and milling the head will do nothing but GIVE hp...I think even you will agree that everything counts w/ a 4 banger.
I understand the tourqe curve, but what you aren't seeing is also what I'm getting at, the tourqe curve doesn't even show "real" tourqe until what??? 5500-6000 rpm??? okay, I know when I shift I'm in that spot or above, in a 1/4 this is a faster setup than an LS and slower than a GSR...w/ proper cams and TUNING it could be faster than a STOCK Type R. Why do I get so much resistance from qTiger and dubster99? Do both of you just hate my idea that much? Allmost all of my cars have ran better times than either of you have ever expressed allthough they could have ran much faster times w/ slicks but I like my tranny (I do not want to destroy the stock diff) and I do all my own work (everything from dissasembly to full rebuilds, I chip ecus, and am learning about trannies), I wouldn't do this swap if I didn't KNOW that it would be faster or that I couldn't make it faster than what I have now.
I'm just curious about why either of ya'll can admit that a B16A w/ i/h/e a good bit of headwork, chipped ecu and VAFC AFTER dyno tuning was putting down 180+ hp and 110+ ftlbs in a TEG will run a better 1/4 time than a STOCK Type R that has 160+ hp and 115+ ft lbs...whether the tourqe curve comes in 1000 rpms earlier or not, THAT much of a hp difference IS going to come out on top. Soooo, why?
Old 11-06-2002, 05:44 PM
dubcac
I

Ok, throw a stock b16 into a teg......See if it will hang with a stock LS. I'm done with these posts, its getting ridiculous around here.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:42 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Seriously, don't bother trying to justify doing it to a bunch of other people. If you think it'll work, do it, post a timeslip, and leave it at that. You can debate theory until you wear down your fingerprints from typing so much but nothing is really proven.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:03 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by sir_crx
what do you have against milling the head for added compression? A B16A is a fairly high comp fact engine, that if you don't want a rebuild, a cheaper alternative rebuilding a perfectly good engine, is to mill the head
#1: Decreased valve to piston clearance.

Drag racers mill for many reasons, and with that they are either forced induction with dished pistons, don't have an interference engine, or use aftermarket pistons with larger valve reliefs.

#2: Makes cam timing a PITA.

I understand the tourqe curve, but what you aren't seeing is also what I'm getting at, the tourqe curve doesn't even show "real" tourqe until what??? 5500-6000 rpm???
Here is a dyno graph:

It has your beloved 1st gen b16, modded out with some Jun 2 cams. These cams make BAGS of torque. Nearly as good as Toda Bs.

Here is another:

Stock R.

Similar horsepower numbers, but look at the R's horsepower curve. Takes a big freaking leap up at 5500-6000 RPMs. Meanwhile, the b16 is still being its peaky ass self. Also take a look at the torque curves. The R engine makes 10 lb/ft of torque more. Not a huge deal. But look where its torque peak is. 6200 RPMs. Where is the b16's torque peak? 7250 RPMs.

I'm willing to bet that the R has greater area underneath both its torque curve and horsepower curve. Horsepower is no question, but torque is close. As it is, the R will walk your creation. With intake, header, exhaust on the R, it'll flatten out that torque curve, raise that horsepower curve a little, and eat you alive.

I wouldn't do this swap if I didn't KNOW that it would be faster or that I couldn't make it faster than what I have now.
I'm just curious about why either of ya'll can admit that a B16A w/ i/h/e a good bit of headwork, chipped ecu and VAFC AFTER dyno tuning was putting down 180+ hp and 110+ ftlbs in a TEG will run a better 1/4 time than a STOCK Type R that has 160+ hp and 115+ ft lbs...whether the tourqe curve comes in 1000 rpms earlier or not, THAT much of a hp difference IS going to come out on top. Soooo, why?
You won't get 180+ hp and 110+ lb/ft of torque. You'll have to choose between some peaky ass cams or something that'll give you torque, you cant' have your cake and eat it too.

Your previous projects were fast because they were light.

And please, if you are going to continue to argue this point, at least try out some punctuation, coherency, and a thing I like to call 'paragraphs.'
Old 11-07-2002, 08:47 AM
taylormadem5

http://www.importreview.com/dyno/1.6/steve.jpg
Ok there is a link with a B16a, polished head, CTR cams, JDM header, cam gears, stock bottom. It made 189HP and 113FT/lbs if TQ. So it is possible to get that kind of power out of a B16a with that setup. All he is building is a poor mans CTR with some tuning done no biggie.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:58 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by taylormadem5
http://www.importreview.com/dyno/1.6/steve.jpg
Ok there is a link with a B16a, polished head, CTR cams, JDM header, cam gears, stock bottom. It made 189HP and 113FT/lbs if TQ. So it is possible to get that kind of power out of a B16a with that setup. All he is building is a poor mans CTR with some tuning done no biggie.
Yeah, 189 horsepower at nine thousand RPMs.

Plus I'd like to ask what kind of voodoo magic they used to make CTR cams make power at 9000 RPMs. With a stock compression ratio, no less.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:51 PM
dubcac
I

Show me another dyno sheet of a b16 with bolt ons and cams making 190 whp please.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:34 PM
taylormadem5

Ok heres another dyno sheet, the B16b's redline is 9000 stock, so it making power to that point isnt hard to believe.http://www.importreview.com/d_1.6.html thats a link that has not 1 but 2 b16's making 190hp to the wheels.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:42 PM
dubcac
I

Ok, the first one is the car he was talking about. The second is the b16b, not a b16a. Let me be more specific...show me more b16a dyno charts of 190 whp.