Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Clutch won't fully disengage? EEEK!

Old 10-27-2002, 04:29 AM
scumbagio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch won't fully disengage? EEEK!

I have a 95 GSR w/ 120k miles on it. I went to start it today and it jumped forward as if i hadn't pushed the clutch, but i did. I tried again and the car started. The car wouldn't move as long as I had the brake on but, when I released the brake the car would start to take off. Since the car is running I'm assuming the clutch is not totally engaged either. I did have to shut the car off after a min. because the clutch started to smoke. I checked to see if the fork moves. It does, but I'm not sure how much it should move. My fluids are also topped up. The clutch is quiet and smooth while it does this too. So I'm hoping it's just that slave/master cyl. Is there any tests I can try at home. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:56 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try bleeding the clutch cylinder?
Old 10-27-2002, 10:54 AM
scumbagio

I did about a month ago when I started to notice something was going wrong. It all started when my clutch would chatter a little bit. And one time I was at a stop light and i could feel the clutch start to "pull" me (disengage). The clutch acted funny for a week then smoothed out for almost two months with no problem whatsoever. no noise no chatter no soft pedal. I drove home from work the night before and it was working perfect and the next morning it wouldn't disengage. i have tried it since but it still works the same. Maybe I didn't bleed it right? I bled it like i would my brakes. Is that right? Openned the bleeder had someone hold the pedal and tighten it back up? Thanks again
Old 10-27-2002, 11:05 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Yup, you bleed it like you would brakes, pump until no more air comes out, hold, and close the valve. Chances are, your release/throwout bearing is going, so it's probably a good time to replace your clutch as well.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:01 AM
preylude99

I had almost the same problem on a 95 integra.......but it was because I was losing the actual fluid, are you losing fluid at all or is it staying full>?
Old 11-02-2002, 07:34 AM
scumbagio

It stays full. unfortunatly I think I'm going to replace the clutch. A friend said the same thing happened to him and it was a spring that let go? It rubs against the pressure plate. I dunno?
Old 11-02-2002, 09:35 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Originally posted by scumbagio
It stays full. unfortunatly I think I'm going to replace the clutch. A friend said the same thing happened to him and it was a spring that let go? It rubs against the pressure plate. I dunno?
If that's the case, you'll definitely need a new clutch, and you'll need to either resurface the flywheel, or get a new one.