Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

b16a2 disp. question

Old 11-18-2006, 02:50 PM
99SI05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a2 disp. question

im goin to start building a high displacement b16. im goin to order new sleeves in preparation for boost. and a stroker kit

for the question.
if i sleeve my b16 block and bore it out to 84mm. does anyone think that i should rev out to my full potential b/c of the added rod size or piston size,

basically is it safe to rev out to my full potential of 9K like my valvetrain is capableof while having this large displacement and all that stuff?
Old 11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

what size stroke? what cams?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:05 PM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by 99SI05
im goin to start building a high displacement b16. im goin to order new sleeves in preparation for boost. and a stroker kit

for the question.
if i sleeve my b16 block and bore it out to 84mm. does anyone think that i should rev out to my full potential b/c of the added rod size or piston size,

basically is it safe to rev out to my full potential of 9K like my valvetrain is capableof while having this large displacement and all that stuff?
If your prepping for boost, skip the stroker kit. Boring and sleeving is the better way to gain displacement. Then rev to wherever your powerband ends.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by 99SI05

for the question.

You should do the math, that is the only way to really know for sure...
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Lynxx
Methanol Drinker

What you need to do is know the specs of the components you are going to use (cam profile, compression ratio, bore & stroke, etc) and determine where the powerband for your new setup lies. I doubt that you will be building peak power at 9K rpms. As with most engine setups, once you pass your powerband, the horsepower and torque are going to drop dramatically.
If you're just wanting to be able to rev to 9K, then you will need to choose components that are designed to operate at peak power at that rpm. Otherwise, build the engine for the powerband, no matter what the rpm, and go from there. More rpms doesn't neccesarily mean more HP.
Just my $.02...